Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be a first time Rover owner, seriously contemplating buying a 95' County LWB 4.2. with about 85k. The dealer can offer a 3yr 36k extended warranty as well. Is there anyone out there who can tell me if this model/year is reliable ( I relaize they all have their problems), or should I hold out for a later year model ( 1996 - 1999 HSE) I read somewhere that the 95' 4.2 LWB is one of the better models. I am a little hesitant buying an older model Rover since I will be carting around 2 young ones and using this as the "family" car. Any advice on the Rover would be welcomed, along with insight into Rover extended warranties.

:dunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great vehicle and it is a good idea to get the warranty as well. I am sure though that the warranty does not cover the air suspension which is probably the most likely problem to occur at some time. Reliable and Land Rover don't really mix. If the price is right and you are prepared to convince yourself that this aint no Honda then I would get it. I am on my third Rover and unless gas goes to 3 to 4 dollars a gallon I will always drive a Rover. Good luck. BTW what part of Jersey?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You

Thanks for the advice - I will definitely check if the air suspension is covered. I live in Voorhees, about 15 minutes outside of Philly. Thanks again

Robrover said:
Great vehicle and it is a good idea to get the warranty as well. I am sure though that the warranty does not cover the air suspension which is probably the most likely problem to occur at some time. Reliable and Land Rover don't really mix. If the price is right and you are prepared to convince yourself that this aint no Honda then I would get it. I am on my third Rover and unless gas goes to 3 to 4 dollars a gallon I will always drive a Rover. Good luck. BTW what part of Jersey?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very good vehicles as a family car, especially as an LSE (as the long ones were called in the UK) will not cause minor leg room issues for a 2-3 year old in a full child seat (slightly inconvenient in my standard length Classic).

The LSE has air suspension (essentially made as suspension prototypes for the 2nd gen RR), and this can be problematic at this age/mileage. Fixes are usually expensive, and can't be done at home as cumputer fault memories need clearing. Common problems are weak compressors, faulty valve blocks (expensive) and failed axle height sensors.

There are few other running problems, and Atlantic British sell a coil spring retro-fit kit which is cheaper than repairing air suspension, and will banish the problem forever (that's why I made sure my late '95 Classic was a coiler).

The other big Classic issue is corrosion, particularly of the wheel arches, inner wings, sills and tailgates. Check them and get them traeted with waxoil/Dinitrol.

The drivetrain is very reliable and long lasting. A noisy auto box may indicate the need for new box oil and filter. The 4.2 is a good unit, and, I believe, not subject to the porous block problem that afflicts 3.9 and 4.6 units.

Subject to condition, a lovely vehicle that you will really enjoy. :)

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Only 85k???!!!
My 93 has nearly 150k on her.
Tell them to do the 90k maintenance on her and you'll take it.
Welcome, you can never go back now.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Ditto to what they said

The Air systems tend to fail. Its best to change over to springs. Other than that and usual maintenance items the Rovers are rock solid. 150k on my truck ( as we Yanks call em ) engine runs great. I had over 250k on my 88 3.5L and the only thing done to the engine and tranny were the cam shafts for more power. One thing you have to remember that this is the final version of a rig that was first produced in the early 70's. It has gone through many changes to make it more reliable and stout. The back seats have the leg room of a limo, and my kids love it because they have a better view out the windows than with a typical sedan.

D

·
Registered
139 Posts
initiation? yeah... do not buy it.

Save yourself the time and trouble..

·
Registered
49 Posts
initiate your checkbook!

all rovers will require some use of your checkbook from time to time, but as you can tell, many here think they are well worth it.

As for the model your looking at, I would choose that one if I were going for a nice "classic" bodystyle for street/limited off road use. If you can afford it you will enjoy a nice 4.0/4.6 (95-02). If off-road use is what you plan to do most I would look at an 88 or 89 swb...

My opinion on the air suspension is keep it (for street use), there are plenty of aftermarket parts available to replace those that fail, plus if you get the warranty (is it a LR or independent dealer) it should cover it too..

Good Luck!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I own the exact same one....as does the fella who started this forum (Serg). I am sure he will mirror my sentiments:

That body style and all major parts including the engine have been tried and tested all over the world for 25 years - find another 4x4 with heritage like that. The 4.2l engine is a GM Buick - with many interchangeable parts, and while you may get weird looks from a mechanic in butt$%## Kansas once he looks past the outside he will be able to provide you with any help you need - I KNOW! :drive:

Now the electronics are "special" - Lucas is very finicky and you will have intermitent issues - ya just live with it!

This vehicle is essentially a hand built 4x4, that is intended for off road use and abuse - it has a wonderful following on these forums and a HUGE number of aftermarket parts and accesories shops on the internet.

Your first step though is to find a GOOD european service center close to your house, AND locate the nearest dealer as well. As far as the EAS goes there are two schools of thought, I didn't have an option on mine as the EAS was replaced before I acquired her. But if it is in good condition I would advise you to keep it until you have issues - then decide - I hear the ride is second to none.

I also am a family man and I love the fact that I can have the two kids in the back with the dog AND their junk AND a cooler :beer: on the floor at their feet while packed to the gills in th eback for our camping trips.

LASTLY - TAKE THE WARRANTY
Hope to hear from you on this forum as a proud owner of the last model of the KING of 4x4's

Jonesy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great model and year

My '95 LWB has 192K. Someone already said it- the back seat is like a limo- huge. Air suspension went out at 140K. I spent $450 and she now rides on OME heavy duty springs and shocks. I love the coil sprung stiffness- but, I actually use my Rover for its' intended purpose (I just got back from a 4 day drive through Colorado- Rocky Mountain National Park and three of the nastier jeep roads- we are talking about going 8 miles in 4.5 hours). For solid offroading I would put the- basically stock- SexyBeast up against any weekend warrior-mobile. She also cruised home on the interstate at 85 MPH- at about 20 MPG on 87 octante fuel (I love the 4.2- not as much flogging- sped up Vail pass at 70 MPH- passing everthing- only being ovetaken once- by some sort of two foot tall red-rocket ship). I don't have a family- but, after looking at the other types of vehicles I passed on my way home- if I were in an accident, I'd want to be in my Range Rover.

Upper tailgate started to rust about a year ago- now needs replacing. Overall I have spent about $2000 maintaining my Rover (not to include tires)- over three years. Other than the air bags failing on a return trip from mosquito pass (looked like a lowrider sitting on the frame bumps for 100 miles) she has NEVER let me down. As previosly stated, a great independent rover shop a must.

New shape, blah- buy a classic.

Jared

:bgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 93, its not perfect but I love it!
I'd recommend owning one to anyone, just be prepared for niggley little things! :drive:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts