Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just attempted to smog my 95 Disco and it failed badly. Moreover, the mechanic was not able to get a read on the scanner. Suspects there is a ground problem but has no idea how any hours it will take to diagnose (needing to remove dashboard). I know this disco (5-speed) is rare and would prefer not to junk it (may consider selling but need to pass smog first in CA). The engine seems okay besides the electrical problem but there are numerous repairs long overdue. Some of them I can handle but the electrical seems daunting. Has anyone encountered a problem with the test codes not being accessible, and ideas on where to look for a ground problem? Dig into the electrical schematic? btw, I checked the fuse for it and it's okay.

·
very disco
2,210 Posts
after checking the fuse for the OBD, you'll want to perform a voltage check across the power and ground pins, followed by a resistance check on the bus pins. also, look for corrosion on the connector.

it's usually not very hard to get the port up and running

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after checking the fuse for the OBD, you'll want to perform a voltage check across the power and ground pins, followed by a resistance check on the bus pins. also, look for corrosion on the connector.

it's usually not very hard to get the port up and running
Thanks for the feedback. Turns out, the system is OBD1 and doesn't use OBD2 scanner. I found the code, left bank oxygen sensor issue. Going to check plugs, ignition, and look at cleaning injectors. Also will check O2 sensors.

·
very disco
2,210 Posts
Haha. Basics. Love it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts