Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in need of a little advice. About a week ago I started having trouble with the old girl. Thursday of last week she was running as strong as ever. No problems at all. Friday morning was exceptionally cold for South Mississippi, I believe in the low twenties. I went to start her and she fired up fine, then promptly died. Another try got her running, but this time seemed to be misfiring. After about 30 min of this I had to give up and get a ride to work. I have tried repeatedly for the past week to get her running, waiting till it warmed up, but to no avail. I can rev up the engine in Park or neutral, but as soon as I put it in gear the rpms drop and it starts doing the same thing. I sprayed some starter fluid into the intake while it was running and it smoothed out and sounded fine. About a week prior to this starting I had gone through a partially flooded road. The truck died but I was able to get started and had no problems after that. I will upload a video to help better show my issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9WqEzGKZhc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I'd start with close look at the fuel system. Fuel temp sensor and low fuel pressure are common causes of these types of symptoms.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I've got an update. I discovered that if I spray starter fluid into the throttle body with the butterfly open for about 4 or 5 seconds and then start the engine it will run completely fine no problem. but once I shut the engine off it will start back up the exact same way again unless I spray starting fluid in it to begin with.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on it, when was it last tunes along with 8 mm wires and a fuel filter?
Popping is usually an electrical issue and or a chipped valve.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
121k miles. I've had the vehicle since 98k and I've done all routine maintenance as well as a complete tune up when I got it.

I can now get it running by spraying a good bit of starting fluid into the intake and then starting her up. Once running that way it runs fine. I drove for almost two hours non stop with not a single issue. I got on the skinny pedal pretty good too trying to see if there were any issues and there were none. The issue now is getting it started correctly (without starting fluid.) As soon as I get paid Wednesday I'm going to get a a tool to check my fuel pressure. Would a faulty fuel pump lead to this issue?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
You may well need fuel injectors as something is allowing fuel pressure to bleed off when the key is turned off.

I can usually get new injectors for far less than the dealers.

If you're interested in further diagnosis, I can lead you through the process to isolate the fuel system so we know exactly where the leak is, but my money is on 20 year-old injectors.

Also, using starter fluid like you have described is a great way to burn holes in pistons, break valves, etc. Ether is mechanical heroin. Feels good for a while but will kill you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 99 is doing the same thing, not starting without fluid help in the morning. I poured some gas into a small spray bottle and have been spraying that into the intake to start it in the morning, because I didn't want to give it any heroin :).

Mine I have noticed runs fairly decent when it's cold. But when it warms up after about 7 minutes it is extremely sluggish and will not get out of its own way during acceleration. I'm looking for some help or ideas myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.