Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm driving a 1995 Disco that has developed a rather annoying ticking sound. The truck has got 133,000 miles on it or 215,000 kms. I just had it into the shop to fix sudden loss of power issues and it turned out to be a lot of leaks in and around the intake and intake manifold. $3000 later and a new intake and it runs a million times better. Thing is its got this tick, before it went in it would tick only when cold and then go away once it warmed up or the oil pressure got high enough. After fixing the power issue my mechanic told me to do a chemical hot oil flush and changed the oil and hopefully that would solve the noise problem. Thing is though after doing that, the ticking is much worse, it will come on when hot or cold, driving or parked. It will go away if I rev the engine to 3000rpm but then only for a short time, it will be back shortly after. I used a BG engine purge kit to flush the oil and use Motul 5w-40 synthetic with a synthetic Fram filter. The truck usually just makes short trips to and from work, about 10 minutes each way and I use regular 87 octane fuel. It has a supercharger mounted on top which makes it difficult to remove the valve covers if its a lifter making the noise.
I think it might be the oil pump possibly, but if anyone else has any ideas that could help me solve it, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could you use your phone and record the sound?

My `97 is ticking as well this is what it sounds like:

I'm gettin ready to pull the valve covers tonight I hope, but sometime this week at the very latest. Will post my findings

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Hi all,

I'm driving a 1995 Disco that has developed a rather annoying ticking sound. The truck has got 133,000 miles on it or 215,000 kms. I just had it into the shop to fix sudden loss of power issues and it turned out to be a lot of leaks in and around the intake and intake manifold. $3000 later and a new intake and it runs a million times better. Thing is its got this tick, before it went in it would tick only when cold and then go away once it warmed up or the oil pressure got high enough. After fixing the power issue my mechanic told me to do a chemical hot oil flush and changed the oil and hopefully that would solve the noise problem. Thing is though after doing that, the ticking is much worse, it will come on when hot or cold, driving or parked. It will go away if I rev the engine to 3000rpm but then only for a short time, it will be back shortly after. I used a BG engine purge kit to flush the oil and use Motul 5w-40 synthetic with a synthetic Fram filter. The truck usually just makes short trips to and from work, about 10 minutes each way and I use regular 87 octane fuel. It has a supercharger mounted on top which makes it difficult to remove the valve covers if its a lifter making the noise.
I think it might be the oil pump possibly, but if anyone else has any ideas that could help me solve it, it would be greatly appreciated.
Firstly, NEVER use any sort of flush or cleaner in your oil. If your motor is dirty, the only way the crap can get out is past your bearings, etc and it will not do them any good.
So the motor probably needs a rebuild after the flush, however, the rover V8 was never designed to take an oil as thin as 5W oil. So try a 15W oil and see if your condition improves. It will not fix the damage caused by putting the cleaner through, but it might quiet it down and give you some more life out of it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
85 octane!? Run 91/93 like the rest of us!

Putting it out there...Supercharger?

Also - Drop/Clean Oil Pan and Oil Pickup Screen

If that doesn't work see my signature. Worked great for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts