Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase a fully loaded Disco.
What questions should I be asking the seller?
What would be the cost of maintaining this vehicle?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
:dunno:

4,346 Posts
HEY, excellent choice of vehicle. First, ask if all maintenence was performed on schedule and by the dealer, if not by the dealer a trusted LR shop. Was it driven off-road? Was the Gas Tank replaced in the recent recall? (if it wasnt dont worry about it because LR will replace it free of charge)

· Registered
909 Posts
Yes, ask the above questions, but if this is your first Rover, then I would have it checked out by an independant Rover Shop. You should be able to find one in your area. Most likely if you have a "favorite" mechanic, he will not be able to adequately inspect it. The indepantdants can run a diagnotic on the whole truck for under $100.00. This will test all of the sensors and tell you alot of info. Money well spent if you ask me. If you are your own mechanic, read up on this forum, about everything! Learn as much as you can. :wave:

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A big THANK YOU to your responses. This is a great website for Land Rover enthusiasts. A very helpful and friendly bunch of owners and browsers. :clap:

The Disco has 150,000 kms and never been off-road. The owner has receipts and upgrades of work done by a reputable British garage. Most likely I will own this vehicle in the near future.

I will definitely use most of my spare time browsing this wealth of information website.

Keep up the GREAT WORK !!

Cheers :beer:
Tom

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Congrats on your choice of vehicle - I have the same model but 96. One thing to check out is make sure the diff lock can be engaged. If it has never been offroad, it might be very stubborn - which is OK - it just will need a lot of lubrication. You might even be aboe to use that to bring the price down. Parts for the bad boys can be expensive but if you are net savy and ask a lot of questions on this forum, you can usually find the parts cheaper than you think. And if you are able to do some of the labor yourself, you'll save a buttload of $$$.

· Registered
321 Posts
if it's never been off road, chances are that the diff lock is seized, try it out on a STRAIGHT road, if it doesn't move then the linkages is seized, it's an easy fix but you could try haggling price down, saying that it might need a new transfer case :)
when you get it home, you'll notice oil leaks. if it's not leaking then i'd be worried.
other that and what ppl have already said, good choice :)
take care
sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.