Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, thank you yo whom ever responds - I feel lost here...I bought the car used, 87k - runs great but already fighting a Alt. problem - replaced and started it on a fuly charged battery and still no tach? anyone?? The belt is on correct as far as I can tell - it is on the same way it was when I replaced the alt - I dont want to burn up another $350.00 alt. also, is this an AWD? When I shift the 4wd into N. she wont move?? Love the girl, just need to figure her out - I also need an owners manual, ideas here? Whats the "i" stand for in the v8i?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The tach runs off one corner of the Alternators three phase Delta winding. If you don't have tach, check the wiring on the back of the tach, but tachs do also go bad.

Yes, All modern Land Rovers are All wheel drive. The transfer case lever shifts it from Hi range, to Neutral, to Lo range. Not surprising it won't move if you only moved it to N.

The "i" stands for 'injection' Kinda a dumb hangover from when they offered them with both carbs or injection, but since no gasoline V8 has been offered with natural aspiration (carburators) since 1987, the ' i ' is sortof redundant.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Serpentine Belt Routing

I can send you a diagram of the serpentine belt routing, so you can double check that. It might not have been routed right the first time, but I'm not sure that would affect the tachometer. Send me an email if you'd like the diagram.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, it's not moving in neutral. . .

Your transfer case lever has 6 positions. The normal position for everyday driving is towards the rear and to the right. Straight up from that you will find a neutral. On forward from that you will have a low range, open differential. If, when the stick is in neutral you move it towards the left, you will get into your diff lock positions. Same as the other side, Hi range is towards the rear, then a neutral, then Lo range is towards the front. Caution: only engage diff lock on soft or loose surfaces, not on dry pavement. You should have a 4wd-style lamp lit when diff-lock is engaged. It should be on the right side of your instrument cluster. Read the universal instructions on the front of your console to engage the diff-lock. 0-5mph while rolling forward w/ the transmission in neutral. Same to disengage, but I also like to reverse for a few feet to allow the drive line to "un-wind" before I shift out of diff-lock as this seems to make it easier to shift. Don't get frustrated if your transfer case lever doesn't move easily @ first, it should get better over time, so long as you move it on a regular basis (monthly, or sooner) Good Luck, LRW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts