Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1998 Disco changed a/c condenser fan - barely runs now

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pboerger 
#1 ·
I replaced a defective a/c condenser fan ($100 @ salvage yard !!!!) and now I can hardly start the engine. It runs very rough with lots of smoke and then only when i accelerate hard and keep revving the engine between 2 -3K. It won't idle. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do?

#2 ·
Changing out the fan should have no bearing on what you are describing, I don't have a clue where to go with your problem.
Mike J.

#3 ·
Any of the relays or other sensors?

I was testing the fan to see if it would run if I powered it directly from the battery. I applied power to the black wire and heard a snap over on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Could any of the relays or sensors in that area been affected that would cause this? :dunno:

#5 ·
The fuses all look good. I just ran an ODB-II scan. No error codes. However my O2 sensors are at Bank 1#1=30mV, Bank 1 #2=40mV and Bank 2 #1 = 90mV Bank 2 #2=

Does anyone know what the correct levels are for this?

Its barely starts and runs briefly as if the fuel mix is set way, way too rich.

#6 ·
I reviewed more of the data from the scan. The car thinks the coolant is -40 Degrees F and the intake air intake temp is 18 Degrees F. The current actual temp is about 40 Degrees F. So the car thiks it is much colder than it is. I imagine that is causing the fuel system to choke the airflow and make the fuel mix very rich.

I would appreciate if any experienced members could validate (or not) this theory and suggest possible solutions.

Thanks,
Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.