Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Disco I purchased that will not crank. I am not real familiar with these and have never worked on a vehicle with coil packs. The odd problem that I have is that when I put a timing light on the spark plug wires they fire sometimes and sometimes they don’t. Coil packs, plug wires, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, have all been replaced and I still have the same issue. Also the fuel pump seems to work intermittently causing fuel pressure to be on the rail sometimes and sometimes not. I have no check engine light. Any help would be great, I bought this for my 16 year old son thinking it would be an easy fix, but I was wrong!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I solved the fuel issue the inertia shut off valve was unplugged, felt a little stupid since I had hit the button at least 10 times and never noticed the plug was not completely connected. As for the spark issue, I cleaned the plug that connects from the harness to the coil packs and it fixed the spark issue I was getting. I fired it up tonight, however it still has a miss that is not consistent. It runs smooth for a few seconds and then cuts out, it will run smooth for a minute or so and then cut out, and other times it cuts in and out several times in just a few seconds. I am wondering if anyone has removed the plug and just straight wired it. I still feel like the plug may be causing the issue. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I figured it out. Couldn't have done it without all your guys help LOL. Maybe someone will be able to use this for help in the future. The miss was caused by the plug that connects to the cam sensor. It was showing wire at the base of the plug. I put electrical tape inbetween each wire and it solved the issue. I will probably remove the plug all together because if it rains I am sure I will have the miss again with electrical tape as the fix. PS. I got the rover for $600 because two dealerships, and two owners couldn't figure out the issues with it. Not bad for a Jeep guy. C-ya

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boy was I wrong! Drove the disco to work this morning to brag and it started cutting out on the highway, stalls when I stop, retaped the plug at lunch and no change. I have faults:
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1187 Variant Selection (O2 sensor)
P1313 Misfire Rate Catalyst Damage Fault - Bank 1
P1314 Misfire Rate Catalyst Damage Fault - Bank 2
P1316 Injector Circuit / IDM Codes Detected
P1447 ELC System Closure Valve Flow Fault
TWICE
Cylinder 4 Missfire
Camshaft Position Sensor

I don't trust the camshaft code because I unplugged it and cranked the truck to see if anything changed and it didn't. I had the codes scanned latter this afternoon. So much for the victory beers I drank last night. Autozone would not clear the codes, is there a way to clear them? I am leaving the battery off tonight to see if that does it. Also it seemed to get worse the more I drove it, like something was giving the computor bad info. I am going to try the below this weekend from the research I have done on these disco's:

Check fuel pressure
Check Vacuum Leak
EGR system malfunction
Internal Engine Problems (low compression)

Faulty Coil
Spark Plugs
Camshaft position sensor
Ignition Module
Computer

Anyone jump right in if you have suggestions the floor is open.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it just keeps getting better! It rained last night. I cranked the truck today and it is on two cylinders again???? I have a major electrical issue somewhere. I need to know what fires the coils. There is a single plug going to the coils, and I need to ohm them out and trace everything back to find the short. It has to have naked wires somewhere causing all this craziness. Anyone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Starting to think it could be the reluctor, but I still think electrical since everything went down hill after a good rain, even though the truck didn't go anywere while it was raining. It is kind of getting old talking to myself on here.......

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had a similar problem after going through the car was. Stuttering, misfiring, and code 44 on my 95 Classic.

I removed the distributor cap (I don't think yours has one), sprayed the inside with wd40, then removed all ignition connectors and applied a liberal dose of dielectric grease.

This seems to have solved my issue as I went through the wash again last night with no problems.

I recommend you get a tube of dielectric grease and hit every connector you can find under the bonnet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I ohmed the wires from the coil to the ECM and crank position sensor plug to the ECM and they all checked good. I am at a loss here is there any way to check the reluctor without pulling the trans?

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Come on over to LRF, needed to read up on what you've done so far.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
First off, don't put dielectric grease on contacts you want to conduct.

Secondly, get it to somebody who had a diagnostic platform that will provide VIN-specific DTCs. The codes you provided do not appear to be Rover-specific.

Fuel pressure?

Whatever you do, DO NOT swap the alarm units and ECUs around as you may well lock yourself out of the ECU.

Once we know the fuel pressure and have real DTCs, we might be able to resolve your issues.

In the meantime, stop throwing parts at your truck, you're gonna dent the poor thing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.