Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Discovery is having a problem. First the key would not turn to the removal position unless the power was cut, we installed a switch to enable that this worked for about a year then the ignition would not always start the vehicle, sometimes it would start fine then other times nothing, not a click or anything unless wiggling the key numerous times. We have now replaced the entire ignition module (1000.00 part later) and it is still doing the same thing. Any thoughts? We have checked it is in park etc. pulling out our hair a wee bit love my truck just want it to start reliably. Otherwise everything else is great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure, my husband does the work on her. He just replaced the ignition module? It was quite an ordeal however came as one complete unit. What should we be searching for regarding the electrical portion? Do you know what the part itself would be called? Cheers!

·
very disco
397 Posts
Agreed.

When you were unable to remove the key without cutting the power, was the steering wheel locked? Or could you turn it freely?

·
very disco
397 Posts
It’s possible the XYZ switch is not correctly reporting the gear selector position. If the truck doesn’t know it’s in park, then it won’t allow you to remove the key or start the car.

Next time it happens, see if it allows you to start easily in neutral

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-STC1746?gclid=CjwKCAjw5fzrBRASEiwAD2OSV0hIHht1zNvnL_IEX7w-sURQKEc0k9Tk9IWVet92xNhjqnVOKJKPkRoCIyAQAvD_BwE

^That is the electrical switch that makes contact when the key in the ignition is turned. It can be checked in it’s different functions with a multimeter, but for the symptoms you’re describing I’d likely start there.
Are you sure that the linked item fits a D2 s well? cos that's for D1 and RRC which AFAIK have different electric plugs, i presume that the OP has a first edition '98 D2 if we are in this section of the forum

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you sure that the linked item fits a D2 s well? cos that's for D1 and RRC which AFAIK have different electric plugs, i presume that the OP has a first edition '98 D2 if we are in this section of the forum

80% of my customers wouldn’t know the difference between a D1 and a D2. If asked they drive a “XX” Discovery. D1,D2, RR, or BMW E38, I would replace the electrical part of the ignition switch first with the presented symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I thought that at least you know then :) What i'm saying is that the switch you linked STC1746 has two connectors a 3 pin one and a 2 pin one while the D2 harness has only one 6 pin connector for the interior fusebox, i couldn't find it's part number but you can see the difference here: http://www.justparts.com/Auto_Parts/READ-FIRST---LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-2-99-04-IGNITION-SWITCH-CABLE-WIRE-HARNESS-/27809415 so if in this thread it's about a D2 the part you linked will not fit unless the switch side has the exact same form and the 2 connectors are removed and the loom revired into the D2 connector if you see what i mean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts