Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a 1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with 80000 miles. I was wondering what parts I should be expecing to replace soon and if I will actually be able to afford the replacements. Also, how many miles should this engine be expected to run for. Is 200,000 unrealistic? And how much should I pay. i think they are asking 14,000. I currently drive a 2004 Mazda RX8, and I'm looking to lower my payments. But if I am going to have to bereplacing parts each month, it might not be a wise investment. I also have a 1992 Honda accord that I plan to drive a lot, so I wont driving the range all the time. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Used luxury cars require lots of maintenance and money.

For 14 grand buy something cheaper and more reliable.

If you want to go offroading get a Discovery.

They will still eat you alive with costs but other stuff wont hit you so bad.

I used to work on Mazdas and if I really needed to lower my payments and get a decent car I would go for a protege 5 or regular protege. Less problems and less wear and tear and cheaper parts all around.

Gas will also eat you alive.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
My parents have a 97 4.6 and it has been great...The only problem we have had is the Air suspension...This can be pricey......If you can afford it, or work in out w/ the dealer, change over to just the coils...Once you have that done you will be fine!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
great cars .

:drink1: Hi , I have two Range Rovers one 1998, and a 2002 the 1998 had only normal maintenance work on it 98000 kilometers .(brakes pads .oils .water pipe because of factory recalls ,filters and one set of tires and a muffler because it was rotten . )on the 2002 (brake pads ,filters and tires ,and normal oil changes ) 45000 kilometers and I can assure you, if you treat them well they will never make you suffer .Some Range Rover had very bad owners and those problems they talk about is the result of that .
Have fun and enjoy it ;
Saludos cordiales
pascal

·
Registered
789 Posts
be careful my friend,

my partner went through 2 ranges, and he's not a bad driver. :shifty:

get a serious warrenty if u can, and keep in mind they are one of the most expensive SUV's on the planet :eek: if it works count yourself lucky, if the problems start i hope your single with no kids, cause all of your money will go into that Truck. good luck :wave:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. First, I know there are a thousand cars I should probably get instead of a used range rover, but I dont want any of those. If I was going to get a mazda protege (as someone suggested) I might as well just drive my 92 accord all the time. I know that a Jeep grand Cherokee would be the ideal choice, but I already had one of those and got bored with it after a year. Right now I pay $500/month for my RX8, which is a $33,000 car. Id love to bring my payments down to about $300/month, or a little less. If I buy this range at around 14000, that is possible. One thing that I find strange is that all the used range rovers seem to be selling way below blue book value. The only ones that are selling at blue book value are the ones being sold by Range Rover dealerships. 80,000 miles is a lot, but these 1999 4.6's sold for what? like 65000?? seems like 14k isnt a bad price for a 65000$ car. I figure if I get a good warranty, then I will be driving a really nice car for a fairly low price. anybody know of anty good warranties? Also, i would hate to buy a car from one of these used car dealerships, they all just seem so shady to me. Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
www.autotrader.com There are always good deals to be had!!!!
There are a lot of warrenty companies, but ask Serg what he went with, i think they give discounts to LRO members..... I was looking yesterday and found a 98 4.6 with 76,000 miles....$8,000... Just look around a little before you buy...I would go with the rangie though!!!!! My parents love theirs...and I love mine..They are both great vehicles...

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you shop carefully you can find a nice RR in your price range that should not need too much in the immediate future, just be sure it has all the maint. records, and you inspect them. Things to look for that might need replacing soon on a car with that mileage:

-ABS accumulator. This part holds pressure in the ABS system. Part is about $200 new, and is a simple screw-off, screw-on installation.

-Air Suspension Pump (EAS pump). These can be rebuilt for about $75 with a rebuild kit and about 15 minutes of easy work.

-EAS Valve block. Again, this can be rebuilt for about $15 with an o-ring rebuild kit and about 1-2 hours of work. Also very easy.

-EAS airsprings. These can be replaced for about $125/each for front and $150/each for rear, again very easy. About 1-2 hours to do all 4.

-Air conditioning blend motors. These control the distribution of air to all the various vents, and also the temperature blend of the air. There are 3 that you can buy in a set for ~$200 or so. This is a bit more time-consuming, but not hard.

These are some of the main things to look for when shopping. As always with a RR, stay FAR away from a car that has electrical problems! By this I mean various error messages, windows or locks not doing what they should, odd things like that. Take the car on a highway drive! I can't stress that part enough. The suspension on these cars seems to be hit or miss, and might find the car very stable and nice to drive at sub-60mph speeds, but hit 70+ on the highway and its all over the place. PLEASE drive fast on the highway before buying!

For TONS of tech info, please check out www.rangerovers.net

Just for the record, a dealer will will charge you TONS of money for the repairs mentioned about that you could do VERY easily and for MUCH less in parts. If you don't want to do any work on the car yourself, make SURE you find a good private shop that knows Rovers. Make sure they have the proper diagnostic gear (Testbook or Rovacom) to properly deal with them.

-Coach

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.