Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I drove her three days in a row with no warning lights or any issues.
On the fourth day she cranks but does start. The battery is new and charged, and plenty of gas.

This is my first no start troubleshoot so can some one please help me with getting started.

[Q] What fuses and relays and their location should I be checking?

[Q] I heard about an inerita switch reset?
How exactly do I perform this?

I just saw a video for replacing the the crank position sensor.
[Q] where exactly is this located for replacing?

Thanks in advance, this should get me going in the right direction.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Get your hands on a OBDII scanner and pull the codes. They cost like $15 on Amazon if you can't borrow one.

Unless you've had an accident or flipped the car, it's not the inertia switch.

The CKP is located at the rear left hand side of the engine block under a plastic cap held in with 2 bolts. Download the RAVE manual for instructions on how to change it. A bit of a bear to get to as access is limited, but it shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

Could also be a bad fuel pump. Just because it has "plenty of gas" doesn't mean the gas is actually getting to the injectors. Check the pressure at the fuel rail to make sure it's within spec.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello again,

Just wanted to report back that the car started!
While crawling the web last night I came across a post where someone mentioned this could be the immobilizer , close all doors and lock then unlock then try and start?

I went to the car and followed those steps and it started right up.
It was true that when I tried the car at the beginning yesterday that the driver door was completely open. Is this a normal function of the cars electronics?

I've had the car less than 8 months and this was the first time I ever had any concern with a no start. Its so much better to know these things before they happen.

In the event the car didn’t start. Can you please share the more logical steps at troubleshooting.
1. Make sure there is voltage at the fuel pump?
2. ?
3. ?

T.I.A.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad to hear your Discovery has returned to life.

Both the CPS and fuel pump are considerations.

You have probably read that the CPS will NOT give a code if it fails. Most do not last past 100K miles.
They can be intermittent, but will most often fail when they have been on for a while (get hot) - working again when cold.

The fuel pump should be audible for several seconds when the ignition is first turned to the run position - but not yet turned to the starter position.
Weak pumps will sometimes fail to start up - and other times seem ok.

A no fuel situation can be tested by using a shot of starting fluid. If the engine fires with the fluid but not on it's own - fuel supply is suspect.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts