Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Ive had my land rover for about 10 months, and now its time to change the pads, front and rear. ive done brakes before, but not on the rover. i was wondering if there is anything that i mihgt run into while doing this job. i dont have a service manual yet, so any tips would be helpful. thanks a lot.
gaurav

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
It is a walk in the park. How many miles on the truck, do you feel the barkes pulsate when stopping??
You might want to check out Atlantic British, they have a sale going on pads and rotors.
What ever you do, don't use cheap, no name aftermarket pads. stay with some of the better stuff like the factory pads or the one the A/B sells.
Make sure you flush the brakes afterwards, it will give you a better/firmer brake pedal.
The only special tool would be a impact type nut driver to loosen up the large philips screw on the rotors if you are replacing them.
Good luck,
Mike J.
99D2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i got the new pads on. i noticed that when i was bleeding the brakes the fluid coming out was pretty bad looking, almost milky. im thinking about flushing hte enitre system. also when i got the rear right done and was testing it out, igot a real violent responce from the peddle, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You have to flush the whole system.
Do you know how th do a gravety bleed?
Remove all the old fluid from the resevor refil with new and open "1" caliper bleed screw at a time, let it drip until the flud is clear then close and go to the next one startin at the right rear first.
make sure you keep plenty of fluid in the resevor.
Mike J.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how woudl i go about emptying the master cylinder, just pump out the fluid or open the bleeder screw and let it all drip out. also could i pump it out with the pedal? also are the rotors gonna grind for a bit while hte new pads get worn in. im a little new to land rovers, not sure how everything is going to fit together. thanks again
gaurav

·
Registered
321 Posts
think you mis-understood mike. do not empty all the fluid out of the master. if you open one bleed screw at a time, the fuild will come out... no need to pump brakes.... make sure you're topping up as you go along else you'll get air bubbles which is and might be a pain to get out...
also as mike said.. start with right rear first
take care
sam

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
No, I did say to empty the resevor, get a turkey baster or syring to suck out the old fluid as best you can, that way when you refil it you will start new fluid going into the brake lines right away.
No don't pump the barkes or anything, just open one bleeder screw starting at the r/r and let it drip till it is clear, may take 5 minutes or so, but it is an easy one man jod and you finish up with a nice firm pedal.
mike J.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brake Question

I'm also going to be doing brakes on my disco. After starting at the r/r for the gravity bleed, where do you go next, to the l/r, and then r/f and finally l/f. Do you want to do the X=Pattern?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You got it, the whole idea is to start at the wheel that is farthest away from the master cylinder and work closer.
Make sure you let them bleed until the fluid is clear, you will notice a big difference in how the pedal feels afterwards,
Mike J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts