Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently run into what I believe are some transmission problems. My disco is doing some going back and forth between gears when it is shifting from what I believe 3rd and 4th, in the 40-45mph range. Also, when I stop at stop signs, or whatever, and start back up again it feels like it's not downshifting into the proper gears. I brought it in today and had the tranny flushed, but that hasn't solved my problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on the truck, how often did you service the transmission??
Flushing it won't stop a problem right away, if it is in the valve body as in a sticking valve, it may take a little driving to free it up.
As I am answering your question, it occurs to me that there are very few shops that can do a full flush on a ZF transmission, did they service it or do a flush?
The important thing though would be to go have some read the fault codes for the transmission.
Good luck,
Mike J.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call Mike. They did not flush the transmission, they only serviced. They drained the current transmission fluid and re-filled, drained, and re-filled once again. I needed some lube in my front diff as well. The truck has 80,000 miles on it. I bought it with 70,000. I'm also not aware of any tune-ups or other service records that have followed this disco. It's still causing me problems. If I give it a good amount of throttle off the start then it seems to go fine. But if I don't, it's really bogged down.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So did they do the service twice because the oil was so dirty, did they replace the filter, was there any debrit in the bottom of the pan???
If it doesn't get better, go get the codes read.
Mike J.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the service done because I was due for an oil change and the transmission was starting to slip. All of the filters, etc were changed. I'd be getting the codes read tomorrow if it wasn't a 2.5 hour drive to get it done. (One of the downfalls of owning a Rover). I brought it up here with the hopes that someone would have experiences similar problems with some possible solutions.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
if you are describing it as slipping then more then likely that might be the problem.

The only other thing would be a MAF sensor causing the transmission to shift differently.

But unlikely. Of course without reading codes and Internal data in the ECU and testdriving its not easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.