Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to replace the tires on my 98 Disco. The truck is stock no mods. done at this time.
I looked at some tires and got some prices, but I wanted to hear what the people who know these vehicles have to say.

I was looking at some Michelin CR-Terrain ORWL (2) tires with alignment and front balance came out to $342.57

Then I looked at a set of (4) Michelin ADVENTURER HT with the mounting, alignment and balance for $510.83.

I am not taking the truck off-road much at the moment but the winters here in New England can be harsh and I will need tires good for snow and mud etc...
Can someone recomend a better tire if these are not up to scratch or do you think these prices are about right?
Maybe TerryS or John who are in the area can recomend a better tire and seller???

·
Registered
82 Posts
After much searching, I just purchased a set of Goodyear MT/R's, we had some heavy snow here in Colorado and was really pleased with the way they handled, i look forward to breaking them in on some trails this weekend. They have a really agressive tread pattern but are fairly quiet on paved road.

Just my 2c worth.

·
2,986 Posts
Search around a bit on here becuase this topic has been talked about before.. but the best tire in my opinion and many others for you would be the BFGoodrich All Terrains.. they wont be the cheapest, but they'll last for a long time, be great in all weather, and be acceptable for offroading.

·
Registered
388 Posts
rmuller said:
Search around a bit on here becuase this topic has been talked about before.. but the best tire in my opinion and many others for you would be the BFGoodrich All Terrains.. they wont be the cheapest, but they'll last for a long time, be great in all weather, and be acceptable for offroading.
Except at MAR :lol: But seriously, the BFG AT are the best all around tire

·
These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
And check tirerack.com. They have reviews of damn near every tire out there. Also a rating system that lets you compare tires to each other based on customer ratings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just came in from a junk yard as a friend of mine had called me and said that he found a set of Michelin LXT's a set of (5) that came off of a RR.
The tires r still on the rims but I wanted to know if you all think these r good tires. I know it is difficult to comment without seeing the tires but as far as we could tell the treads looked fine.
I am looking online to read about this tire but I can not seem to locate it.

BTW they are asking $200.00 for a set of (5). Any comments on buying from a Junk Yard???

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Yup, those are them.

They ride fine on the street, no issues.
And will do much better in New England snow, ice, slush, water, and mud than a more "streetish" tire. They are also more than capable in most off-road situations other than deep or greasy-clay mud: dirt, rocks, mild mud, etc, they will get you thru. Finally, side walls are extremely tough, as I can personally attest. They also wear very well. Not the cheapest tire, but I don't think anyone would argue that there's a better all-around choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
lamb

I'm on my first disco as well and I haven't changed tires yet but I will shortly and every tire I've ever bought has been BFG A/Ts. Its the best tire out there if you ask me and well worth the money. I ran them on a couple of wranglers over the last few years and loved em

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SCSL

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I called my local town fair tire center and they said they are carrying them for $162.00 per tire $699.00 after installing all (4). I need to double check the specs with them.
But they state on the quotation invoive: "Town Fair Tire will beat any competitors price on tires."
So if that is the case then it looks like it BFGoodrich's all the way. :clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.