Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I am hoping someone can help me with a question.
I have been told that I can run my series 2A 2 1/4 litre donk on straight Unleaded petrol (no fuel additive ) by a service station owner. Is this true??
Looking forward to a reply.
rovermad. :) :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
In Australia you can as our unleaded is better quality than most places you may need to run higher temp spark plugs and adjust your timing if the engine starts to ping

Adam :beer:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Many thanks for your input Adam. :)
A.J.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use Premium

You can but I would recommend premium. Caltex Vortex or Shell Optimax. these are pretty much the only decent fuels on the market. I would also recommend using a Prozone fuel catalyst. Repco sells them and wiull have all the info on them. I use one on my 1970 XW Falcon ute (i know... not a landy)with great success. Valve seat recession is the biggest problem with older heads because they dont have valve seat inserts as alloy heads do. Prozones basically add trace elements to the fuel that do the similar job as lead used to. Well worth looking into...

Pete :drink1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Optimax is the go!

Set up an upper cyl lube kit as used on gas engines, you can dial back the drip feed to only a min feed. Use Shell Optimax, this is by far the best blend to use, but be warned that you should change the fuel filter at least 2 times during the first 2-3 tank fulls. Optimax WILL clean out all the muck in your fuel tank and fuel lines, and carby problems will visit you when you least expect it. You may have to address any tune problems, with different heat range spark plugs & timing settings, depending on the core condition of your engine. Check the ignition leads, or better still just fit new leads if they are over 3 years old, very important to check distributor cap, rotor and coil output as well, if all this is a little bit daunting, get your mechanic on the job, and you will find a marked improvement in power & the fuel economy you will gain will pay for the job in no time.

Good luck,

Mark. (myoldlandy) :drive:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pete! :beer:
A.J.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·