Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post here! I am restoring 1973 Series III, 88 soft top with my mechanic. Needs a new engine, would you go with 2.25 gas or diesel?

Located in Florida, not a daily driver, no long distance trips, just using for fun on city streets for errands etc, no mudding.

just want something that’s reliable, starts up each time, doesn’t wake up neighbors..

Thoughts? Pros? cons? Want to make an informed decision

·
very disco
2,740 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I think diesel is superior in terms of both power and economy, at the sacrifice of pleasant sound (to most) and expense. If you simply want to cruise town, I would think that petrol would suit you just fine. It should be cheaper to implement and a smoother ride.

if you decided to overland, diesel will provide more power for traversing uneven terrain as well as better economy for longer distances.

Reactions: mad05c

·
Administrator
2,343 Posts
If you’re talking a stock engine don’t expect any sort of performance from either
Gas will definitely be cheaper to acquire and build

Reactions: mad05c

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you’re talking a stock engine don’t expect any sort of performance from either
Gas will definitely be cheaper to acquire and build
ok, thank you both. I was reading the gas would be more "peppy" and the diesel more "sluggish"

·
very disco
2,740 Posts
That’s true. The diesel power is in the form of torque.

to put it simply, the gas will turn the wheels sooner but against an obstacle the diesel is more likely to turn the wheels

Reactions: Ephry73 and mad05c

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think more importantly, what motor is in it now? The cheapest alternative, and the easiest, will be to get the current motor rebuilt, or source one like it that is fully operational. I'm a big fan of diesels. If it is just for cruising around town and not getting on the highway, then anything will do really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where are you sourcing the 2.25l diesel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts