Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people....

Does anybody out there have in-depth experince with the 2.5VM engine? Im reasonably knowlegable about diesel engines, and have a bit of experince in a garage, but this thing has got me completly stumped! I shall ask my boss tomorrow bout it, just wanted to get a first opininion from here!

1) The engine is off no. 3 at startup. Ive just replaced this head, as it was very badly pitted, due to the inset in the precomp chamber burning out. The piston is also pitted, but i didnt deem it to be too severe. Once the engine has warmed up a bit, it is still not great, but its sorta half running on number 3

2) There is little, if any, oil feed up to the rockers. Ive ran the engine for over 15 minutes with the rocker covers off, and not a drop of oil came up. Do these engines not have a particuallrly high amount of oil around the rockers?

3) The exhaust valve on No.3 isnt seating fully, causing exhaust gases to escape past the valve seat at medium to high RPM. I didnt lap the valves in on this head, as when i cleaned it i filled the ports up with degreaser, and they didnt leak. I took a chance with it. Spose it was the wrong decision. I just hope it will seat a bit better once the vehicle has been taken for a hard drive. but i dont think this is what is causing the engine to be off the cylinder at startup, maybe im wrong?

4) There is a lot of oil being burnt. This was apparent before the head gaskets were changed, i thought that this would clear up when i changed that head. But obviously not. The liners and pistons were not excessivly worn, certainatly not enough to warrant replacement.

5) There is a rather noticable knock from the bottom end of the engine, which i suspect to be general wear in the crank and main/ big end bearings. But there isnt much i can do about this right now. I suppose it could also be camshaft related, and this brings me on to my next point...

6)Can the camshaft bearings in these engines slip round, causing low oil pressure, like the Landrover engines can? There is also a noise coming from, i believe, the camshaft area. The noise comes from the tappet chesy. It is almost like pressure being released from something, but it only happens for about 10-15 seconds after the engine has been switched off.

Im realy sorry for making this so long! But its all the symptoms this thing is giving, im hoping someone with a greater knowlegde of this engine can give me some advice.

All help appreciated
simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
THAT is an engine asking for a .357 lead lobotomy if ever I saw one.

Simon,

I don't know a lot about these motors but I do know that generally they were total dogs, they were a typical Solihull BODGE, you can just imagine a Lode Lane design meeting in the late eighties...

"Ooooer Chaps we need a diseasel for the latest Range Rover.... :confused ....hmmm lets see............ :confused
Peugeot, nope to french.......... :confused
Mercedes......mmmmm too german............ :confused
GM V8.......mmmmmmmmmm too american.......... :confused
ford.......too common..... :eek:
Mazda.....er.....Nissan......Daihatsu...Izuzu....far to japanese, flash in the pan........ :mad:

.....................hmmmmmmmmmmm.......... :confused

I know we'll put this italian jobbie in the hole!.......the italians use it in their fishing boats, people use Range Rover to go fishing in therefore it will do the job perfectly............ :drink1: "

I would bin the motor. £350 gets you a decent 3.5 on carbs, £400+ sees you knocking on the doors of 3.9s (again I would run on carbs as the injection kit will cost you), £350 - £500 gets you the LPG kit to make it cheap to run.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Muttley said:
I would bin the motor. £350 gets you a decent 3.5 on carbs, £400+ sees you knocking on the doors of 3.9s (again I would run on carbs as the injection kit will cost you), £350 - £500 gets you the LPG kit to make it cheap to run.
It aint my motor tho, its my dads! And the 3.5 on carbs with a DIY lpg kit was my first suggestion! He wouldnt touch a petrol motor now, hes a complete diesel convert :dunno:

I reckon im going to have to fix it weather i like it or not. Haul the bugger out and give it a full recon. But we dont have a garage at the minute, so it will have to wait! I just need some sort of suggestions as to what i can play with at the minute! All i can say is, im glad its not me thats payin for the parts for the engine!

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
I would remove no3 piston assembly it could well have smashed its rings Ive had it on 2.25 diesels and even a V8 neither had liner damage could account for odd noises too.
Cheers ONz
SimonArmstrong said:
It aint my motor tho, its my dads! And the 3.5 on carbs with a DIY lpg kit was my first suggestion! He wouldnt touch a petrol motor now, hes a complete diesel convert :dunno:

I reckon im going to have to fix it weather i like it or not. Haul the bugger out and give it a full recon. But we dont have a garage at the minute, so it will have to wait! I just need some sort of suggestions as to what i can play with at the minute! All i can say is, im glad its not me thats payin for the parts for the engine!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just back in from playing with it again. The smoke put out at some points was terrible. But, at other times, such as holding the engine at 2800rpm, and at full rpm, there is absolutly no smoke. But, on deceleration there are vast clouds emitted. Right enough this would point to the rings. Guess ill get it running the best i can, and he can use it till we get a garage (or until the tax/mot runs out at christmas) Spose it will complety ruin the liner and piston - but i couldnt bare to strip that hole thing down again, and then some. But thanks for that Onz, much appreciated

Anybody got any more suggestions to depress me further?!?!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Krister....

Im already on that group! ill send round my symptoms, see what response i get

Thanks
simon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the big bolllox is getting an oil flush, oil and filter change tonight, after we have done the final re-torque on the heads - lets see if the oil/filter change helps the oil pressure problem!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Retorgued the heads, didnt get a chance to do the oil before it got dark tho...will do it tomorrow night, fingers crossed it helps a bit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts