Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trailered my 2 door range rover home today. I had to save it from being sold out of our shop. Not my first range rover build but its going to be a big job, luckily the body is clean from any rust. But it is missing its trans and transfer case,which I understand is a combined unit. It also has a factory sunroof that I understand is very rare. Also has AC. If anyone has or knows anyone with a parts car 2 door that info would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Will add photos when I get home!

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the roof this morning, I think I was wrong saying it was factory, I don't see any drain lines and I see some use of bondo but they did a good job of covering it, too bad its all rotten away.

·
Registered
168 Posts
don't know of any parts trucks for ya, but welcome to the club. Are you planning on keeping it stock(ish) or modeernizing it? Is this going to be an off-roader or ?

Mike and Myles

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a webasto sunroof apparently they were put in alot of British cars back in the day by the dealer! has anyone ever seen one of these before? my plan is to make it as clean and original as i can, its gonna be hard to find a lt95 gearbox, i suppose if i half to i could modify it a bit and put a r380 5 speed and a lt230, thats what i have in my 88 4 door, but no trails for this truck.

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Rare to find a two door this side of the pond. Rarer still to find it disused and not a total rust bucket. Well done on the rescue. I love the original two door Range Rovers.

Seems you figured out the gearbox (LT95) and sunroof questions. If you want a semi-stock solution and can't find a decent LT95 (although they are plenty strong) early RR's with the automatic option had a version of Chrysler's excellent 727 three speed automatic.

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I bought a motor today, it's a 3.9 newer cam in it, and a double chain timing chain, I'm planning to rebuild it and putting it in place of the 3.5. I also started rebuilding my strombergs this weekend, they look very clean on the inside they just needed some exterior cleaning. But here is the question, for the few Carb guys on here, can i use the stromberg on my 3.9 . I know ill have to adjust it, but will I have to rejet it, and if so where can i get new jets? Thanks for all of your time and support!

By the way I work at a land rover shop, we mainly deal in classics D1s. And D2s so if anyone is after parts let me know we have tons of parts car, look us up Nigals car place!

Ill post pictures soon!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Man, I haven't messed with carbs in years. Lucky you! May need to rejet them, but they probably won't be far off if at all. Between the bigger motor and different cam, choosing the correct plugs might be tricky but you should be able to tell where you are with the jets from the color of the plugs once you figure out which ones to use. I'm more experienced with Quadrajets and Holley's from small block Chevys and the occasional 1 bbl on a VW so hopefully someone here can give you some better guidance.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I expect the carbs will work just fine, perhaps some adjustment for base idle etc. I would rebuild them, install them and see how they do. You can always mess with the jetting later once you have a base line. Had a Series with a 3.9 V8 conversion once and ran a stock 3.5 V8 manifold, carbs and all. I just bolted it on and it ran fine, perhaps a tiny bit rich.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just rebuild them and put them on. I have a 4.6 that I am running with twin SUs and an early rover intake manifold. Great set-up, you will be pretty happy with that setup I would think.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
538 Posts
Great find! It's almost ready to go. It already has auxiliary lighting and some sweet rock sliders.

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
me and my boss were really thinking about it, just not worth the cost of shipping and auction fees, plus cost of the vehicle. anyone else know of another 2 door donor for sale?!

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I traded my brand new drier for a lt230 a r380 with broken output shaft splines a supposedly good r380 and a lt77 trans

·
Registered
538 Posts
Good to hear your priorities are in the proper order! Dry clothes are for people that drive around in reliable little cars, not people with something as cool as a 2 door Classic!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts