Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
bought a edelbrock manifold, and a holly carb, cleaned some parts, tried to fix inside drivers door handle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got around to doing some work on the motor, had it; cleaned at a machine shop; new cam, crank, and rod bearings; new Crowler camshaft for more low end; new lifters; a new piston; double roller timing chain; and i cleaned and lapped the valves. Also I ditched the original heads (they don't use valve seals) i had a spare discovery head set, so ifitted them and have them bolted down with ARP studs. soon to have the intake, headers, and Edelbrock 500 on it. currently have 2 LT77 transmissions but no bell housing, so if anyone has one for sale for a decent price let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
started a full checkout of my lt77, was told it was a warranty exchanged item that was changed out shortly after the car was sold. during the disassembly i found a loose socket joint where the shifter stick connects to the sift selector rod, this made shifting into reverse and 5th difficult. after some lock-tight and torquing down the set screw it works perfectly now. but just to ensure every thing was fully cleaned i decided to fully disassemble it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
sorry its been so long, just got back from a deployment.

anyhow i am getting the transmission back together now, it really was easier to do than i thought it would be but if your going to do it yourself be prepared to have to buy some special tools like a bearing spliter. and at anytime you think you are about to brake something take it to an Ammco, those guys were a big help to me when i needed help putting 5th gear syncro hub back on.

once i was done with the trans i tried to mount the bell housing, only to discover the trans i have is an oddball LT77 with a really long input shaft (clutch side) and the bellhousing i have lets the shaft stick 1 and 1/2in out, thats 1 inch too far, so curently i an having a 1in spacer made to fit between the trans and the bell-housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
here is some more work, replacing the old gauges with some new classic looking VDO units. currently I have bought a tach, speedo, water temp, and oil press. still need a fuel gauge but will need to ohm out the sender unit to get the proper one. took a little drimmeling to get the tach and speedo gauges to fit. Still need to figure out where to put the others, im thinking about putting an aluminum piece over where the old aftermarket tach was and mounting them there but will decide later.

anyone have a spare instrument cluster cover they are willing to part with????

next up is setting up the fuel system!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Still need to figure out where to put the others, im thinking about putting an aluminum piece over where the old aftermarket tach was and mounting them there but will decide later
The usual spot is the upper dash (as in one of your photos) between the two cooling vents. Or either side of the heater controls.

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
i cleaned out the fuel tank, painted it, installed a new fuel sender, and installed it all back into the truck with a new fuel pump, filters, and fuel lines. will post more pictures some time, currently out of the states. anyone on here from Qatar with some spare 2 door parts? Looking for door windows for a 2 door and a defender stick lever.

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow, has it really been nearly 6 years! Well in that time I left my old job and moved back to my hometown, bought a small farm, and started pursuing a bachelors degree.

A few updates to the Range Rover during these years. I was able to buy some windows on eBay and had them mailed to a friend of a friend in England. He was able to store the windows in the back of an airplane I worked on, while it was in transit through England, and retrieved them when the airplane arrived in Nebraska. I was able to get the gear stick on eBay and had it shipped to the states.

I had an odd incident happen to me with my floor pan. while working in my small garage in Omaha I had set my floor pan outside my garage in the alley to gain some more room inside the garage. At the end of the night I went outside to retrieve it, but it was gone, someone stole it for scrap metal. This part is impossible to find in the states, the later range rovers are all welded together and not bolted like the early ones were. I ended up cutting the floor out of a 4 door range rover and was planning to somehow fit it in, I dreaded thinking about putting it in but at this point I had no other choice. Luckily I ended up going on a trip for work to Ukraine and on the flight back our aircraft shelled out an engine in England. Since getting a new motor was going to take a few weeks, I looked all over and found a floor pan for sale, just with allot of rust holes. So I bought it and hid it in the back of the airplane and now have it sitting in the Rover.

Finally during this time, I moved the Range Rover from Omaha NE to my barn in Eastern Iowa. Over these past 4 years the Range Rover hasn't been worked on much due to school and old house problems. In June 2019 the barn I had the Rover stored in fell over in a wind storm. The Range Rover took a pretty good beating with a cinder block wall and a loft falling on it, but overall it isn't too bad. I sadly didn't have insurance on it but I did on the barn, I've since got to rebuild the old barn with a pretty nice shop. Here in a couple weeks I am graduating college and starting a job later this summer. I am planing to get back to the range rover and getting it moving again.

A few items I will be on the hunt for are a exposed hinge hood, and a front right light assembly, just the case not the lens.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Great to see you back and thanks for the update 👍

·
Registered
1981 Range Rover
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
In the new shop now here are some new photos, can only get better from here.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts