Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Sorry but I could not find a common thread.
Just completed a 2 inch lift using original springs and terrafirma plus 2 inch shocks.
I went this way because I want to keep the factory ride and reliatively soft springs. Truck is a clean 105,000 mile California truck.
Sure nice to take suspension apart on a 12 year old truck without using torches? I am used to Canada and rusty stuff.

Everything went well, still need to do the brake hydraulic flex line change for the added suspension height and a wheel alignment.
So here is my issue.....

Front driveshaft is very close to the removable crossmember.(mounted side to side roughly where the catalytic converters are) I am concerned that it will hit during suspension travel.
Anyone else ever noticed this issue?
What did you do? Modify it? Spacers?

· Premium Member
102 Posts
You shouldn't have clearance issues at 2", usually you don't have to worry about it til you get to 3-4". I've got a few inches of clearance on mine (2" RTE lift), but I have a Tom Woods front shaft, so maybe that's why? Either way, spacer blocks for the crossmember are readily available. Do you flex the suspension a lot?

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks "max"
Currently running stock shafts and don't currently flex it very often I do some trails but nothing extreme. That may change in the future. Will likely be upgrading the shafts as well.

This is a new truck to me that I picked up cheap after a misdiagnosed by a local l.r.dealer. Very clean California truck no rust ANYWHERE
Can't wait to get it on the road and trails!

· Premium Member
102 Posts
Before you order crossmember spacers...Do you have a floor jack? If so, jack the truck up by the frame, not the radius arms or the axle, and keep an eye on the driveshaft. This is a bootleg way of articulating your axle, so you can test your driveshaft clearance in a controlled environment. Put the truck in the air via the frame and let the axle hang. Unless you have some snazzy shocks, they should top-out and limit your droop before that driveshaft hits the crossmember.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I mentioned I have just installed terrafirma plus 2 inch shocks. And steering damper along with the 2 inch lift spacers. I have also switched ump to 275/70 18 tires so I am dealing with roughly 4 1/2 inches total height increase.
I did the installation at my shop ( I am a mechanic by trade ) and I had the truck on a hoist suspended under the frame and completely hanging the suspension.
I actually had to remove the front shaft at the front diff. To drop the suspension enough to re install the springs and aluminum spacer blocks that are the source of my lift of 2 inches
My concern is still that it.still appears too close with the weight back on the wheels.
I am going to fabricate some spacers just to be safe.

· Premium Member
102 Posts
If you just added 2" spacers to the stock springs, you're only affecting your driveline by 2". The tires aren't going to move it. The shocks don't provide any lift, they are simply longer in order to interact properly with a lift. Those shocks should still top out before the driveshaft hits (you had them removed when you pulled the springs in and out, right?), when I said "snazzy" shocks, I meant Bilngsteins or Fox that have WAY more travel than a +2 TF. Flex it with the shocks bolted in is what I should have said earlier.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes thanks, I do realize that taller tires do not change any driveline or suspension angles and the spacers under the springs are the only change to suspension that will change driveline clearances. I had to disconnect the front shaft to be able to drop the front axle enough to get the springs and spacers in. (It was resting on the crossmember)
I was concerned with the clearance because even after re assembling the entire front suspension including shocks, the shaft was contacting the crossmember. I appreciate your insight and realize it is a common misconception that shocks change ride height. Mentioning the tires was just a bit more information about what I am doing.
I will be fabricating some spacers before re installing that crossmember.

· Premium Member
102 Posts
No worries, I was just a little confused bc you said you had 4.5" of lift. If you don't want to mess with making spacers, supposedly the truck does just fine with that crossmember removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.