Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How do i know if I have rotoflex or normal drive shafts? To me they look like normal ones but they may be rotoflex. what does a rotoflex look like? its an 01 DII by the way.

2. How the hell do i tell if i have the cdl nipple or not. where on the transfer case do i need to look? Pics would help tremendously!!!

·
2,986 Posts
If you don't know... then you have the rotoflex.. its on the rear driveshaft at the back of it.. its a big rubber donut.

CDL nipple is on the top of the transfer case, there is a plate with 3 bolts in it, and either a big nut in the middle (you have it), or no nut. You have to reach up there and feel around.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so the rotoflex is just on the rear shaft? i looked and don't see this rubber donut you are talking about. can you put up a pic or something?

and the cdl nipple is in addition to those three nuts or is it one of the three nuts?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have the rotoflex but it looks ok. is there any way to tell visually if it is about to go bad?

and I HAVE the CDL nipple. that makes me happy. I need to buy one of those cdl kits? does the cdl really help that much on the trails?

·
2,986 Posts
You sure you have the CDL nipple? most 2001's dont have it, only a few from the beginning of the year.. here is a pic of it:

If you have it, then YES you should find some way to activate it on the trails.. it'll probably be the most valuable mod you can do.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am pretty sure i do...is the nipple on the front of the truck side of the transfer case. i felt up there and felt the three bolts and felt something in the middle! is there anyway to tell by my serial number when it was made to see if it was at the beginning of the year or not?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when did they stop putting in the cdl nipple...do you know a date?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mine was made in march of 01...is that early enough

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am gonna try and hook up aboot leg ghetto rig like keptin i think!!!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
To answer yur question as to whether the CDL really works, you had better believe it. You can, once you learn how, even turn off your traction control and ABS for even more fun off the road. Then you look at lockers and the list goes on.
Good luck and have fun.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
turn off traction control? why would i want to do that? seems like it would help!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
drum655 said:
turn off traction control? why would i want to do that? seems like it would help!
Once you get out and get some hard miles under your belt, you will see that there are times when the traction control gets in the way. T/C is managed by the ABS system and there is nothing worse then having your brakes bouncing traction back and forth, sometimes where it is not needed. By turning it off, while having the cdl locked up you can keep an equal amount of traction front and rear instead of to maybe one wheel.
Like I say, once you get out and use it alot you will see what I mean.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
times like what?? Traction control, though a pain sometimes, almost always helps......I know there are those few times, mostly in extreme articulation situations, where turning off TC would be used to get it out of the way, but its almost better to leave it on. TC combined with the CDL is a good combo....the CDL keeps the driveshafts locked, and the TC controles the individual axles.....its not as good as a locker, but its better the nothing.

ie. On the bear valley loop trip the DIIs made it up because of TC, the DI's didnt....

the CDL makes a substantial difference...you should be very happy that your rover has it...I know I was: Feb '01.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it seems like with the traction control turned off if one wheel lost traction then you would be out of luck. isn't this true? I wish i could understand why it being off would actually help traction....can you explain further?

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
it wouldnt help traction at all....it would be worse. The thing is, it would be preferable to turn it off (and save your brakes, etc.) if you had a full locker setup running...or something. TC can get annoying, but I would never turn it off for regular trail riding....it helps way more then it doesnt.....even though it wears through pads and rotors like mad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.