Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got my free brand new shiny lugs, they havnt been put on yet.

Months ago when I got my M/T tires the place that put them on completly destroyed them....anyhow, I just found out about two weeks ago when I was trying to take my tire off and I couldnt even fit the lug wrench on them....some had been turned almost into complete circles. Kinda scary learning that if I ever had a flat in the last 6 months that I wouldnt have been able to replace it with a spare.

Well I called them yesterday...the first time I made time for it. They are great guys and they have a reputation for pulling through on thier work....without hesitation the manager says that he will replace all twenty and to go the local dealer and they will be ready for picup when I get there. I go over and pick them up....I ask how much it costs per lug and he said they cost $20.00/lug.....$400.00 for the set and hands twenty to me. I felt really bad because I know the manager and he originally sold be new BFG M/T's for $300 off thier price.....I then looked at the invoice and it said $190.00.....so I guess he was able to make a deal with the LR dealer....they are both part of this reno business network "buddy buddy" system. I am going to have them be put on free of charge when I get my free tire rotation in about two weeks (I arranged so it happens after I put on my new Biltein 7100's)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a common situation. You can cut the caps of and use a 26mm socket on what's left, but they look like ****. Poor quality tools and impact guns trash lug nuts all the time. Hand tools are the way to go on lug nuts. And skip the torque wrench, just make sure they're tight.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Some of my lugs did that to I cut a couple off but someday here soon I'm going to cut them all of and then use 35mm film canisters full of grease as caps to keep them fron getting stuck as well and the antiseize I already have on the mounting surface and threads of the lugs and then the mounting surface where the wheel contacts the hub. No stuck wheels for me :buttrock:

$20 a pop is steep, they are proud of their lugs

·
Registered
523 Posts
DiscoPilot said:
$20 a pop is steep, they are proud of their lugs
Just so you know I have a couple used ones(set of 5) on e-bay with the auction starting at 0.99 and no reserve.

I got them along a wheels lot I bought recently, and they are still good.You can see them on the classifieds section.

Thanks,
Carlos

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
If I have my truck in for tires,rotation or whatever, I always request no impact guns are to be used and to use a torque wrench when retightening the lugs. The tire places always oblige and never give me a hard time for the request. It may sound like I am a prick but besides wrecking the lug nuts they could warp a wheel/brake disc, or in my case alot of years ago actually snap a wheel stud!!!! A Ford DEALER did that!!

Just a heads up!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.