Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

first off...Merry Xmas to all!!

So I recent completed the rebuild of my Disco 2 engine. It started out as replacing the headgaskets, but as I got further down I started to see other items that needed attention so I replaced them to. I basic got down to the block from there I replaced - with new gaskets of course:
(1) Camshaft and Lifters with ARP
(2) Timing gear
(3) Oil pump
(4) Water pump
(5) header bolts
(6) had the heads cleaned and checked for warpage
(7) new hoses
(8) new radiator
(9) new T- stat
(11) new coolant resevior
(12) New coil packs with new magnacore wires
(13) New plugs
and like I said above it goers with out saying all the gaskets were changed. Cranked it and started not problem, it revs and accelerates really smooth, unlike when I first took it apart...so here are my issues/questions

(1) Still hearing the water fall behind the passenger side - Have bleed the coolant by having passenger side raised, Resevior cap off, leeting the car idle and letting bubbles come out. I also bleed the bubbles through the bleed screw. And when I take it out it seems fine at first but after a few minute I start to hear the waterfall again. Checked for leakage,,,don't find anything obvious insode engine compartment, did a combustion gas test, to see if combustion gas was beeing leaked into fluid - negative., looked to see if I could smell something at the muffler, negative..in cold weather, I just see drops of water. could the leak be in the heater core? what do you guys think...Am I beleeding it properly?

(2) I had my Scan tool and saw a P0304 cylinder 4 mis fire generic, with CAT flashing,,,don't find the engine hesitating or back firing...revs real smooth..could it be o2 sensor?

(3) I hear a howl in my powersteerning pump. Yes it was full when I started the engine. it goes away after the engine has warmed up but in the morning it howls ....is the pump going bad?

Any expert advice is welcome, love this truck and put a lot of work into it just want to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Merry Christmas,
With the engine cold, and off, fill the coolant reservoir and elevate it. Open (I remove it) the bleed screw, letting it bleed the air out while keeping the reservoir full.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First, you never bleed the system with the engine running, should be cold with the engine off.
Second, go find a real scanner, with live time readings, this will rule out the 02's. Pull the plug wand wire from #4, put the plug in another hole and see if the codes change, also put an OHM meter on the wire and see what sort of readings you get.
Pump is most likely on it's way out, do you have any steering problems?

·
Registered
380 Posts
My Ps pump howls in the morning also, it's winter and the fluid is thick at a cold start. I have a brand new pump in my truck, on a cold start I just give it a little turn and it shuts up. I wouldn't worry about it. Merry Christmas to you also :beer:

EDIT: I top off my reservoir, open bleed screw on cold start while thermostat is closed, then again while the thermostat is open, I do it with the truck running, I just hold a rag around my screw driver when it's hot so no coolant gets on the fan and sprays everywhere. The way I do it works for me, although some may advise against it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy Spring...so from start of this post I have done as much as I could to solve the inside waterfall noise, probably one of the most irritating issues that these D2 have. I have read many forums and tried each solution. I have followed the Bleed instructions in RAVE manual and attempt to get the air out multiple times. Using a pressure tool I pumped 18 PSI into late at night and listed and watch for any obvious signs of a leak. I sprayed each hose connection with soap and water to see if bubbles would appear. I double check each connection for a leak and tighten any fitting that seemed loose. I have check the connections on the throttle body, no luck. Radiator hose, water pump, timing gear..no luck.There are no signs of coolant in oil, the exhaust gas is not pressurizing in the expansion tank and no smoke is being blown out of the muffler,only small drops of water. Right now after I refill, and rebleed, I let it run with the heater on high. The I take it for a spin and I still hear the water and when I park it I see the coolant in tank being expelled thru the overflow hose ( granted I over -filled it so I think its just trying to get rid of the access and leveloff)...but once I turn the Engine off I hear noises coming from the expansion tank...sounding like air in a balloon is being let out...as it continues the tank beings to fill again.....not sure if this is normal. However the only place I have not check is the heater matrix...but that is a nasty long job....and I have read some people doing it and still not solving the problem. My floors are dry and Don't see any puddle under the passenger seat.....So I don't know where else, or what else to do...SO I call on the Land Rover Forum GODS to Chime in and point me to the next step. This is the only piece that is preventing me from putting her back on the Road...Need your advice please!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.