Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've owned the DiscoII for about six months. It never overheated but always smelled of Maple Syrup after driving (that's coolant evaporating right?)

Anyway winter hit Buffalo early and ironic the Disco overheated a couple times. I fear that it might blow the head gasket (my old 95 did and is cooked...for sale). I took it into my local garage (not a dealer).

They pressure tested the system and found no leaks. He thinks its the thermostat and that cause the overflow to discharge.

I should also mention that their is always heat coming thorugh center console. The heater also takes forever...over thirty minutes to get going.

I'm not the handiest guy with mechanics. My local service shop thinks it'll be a $100 to $200 to change a thermostat.

Should I pay it or try myself? My dad and brother are car guys so they'd be able to help?

·
PPR
93 Posts
Do it yourself. If the t-stat doen't solve your issue you might check to see if the coolant smells like exhaust. If so, that causes the cooling system to pressurize and not circulate coolant through the system. That's usually from a bad head gasket or a crack in the block behind the cylinder liner.

·
Registered
128 Posts
T-stat hangs on the hoses on the passenger side of the rad down low. Check the rad tslef for a big red stain. Lift the upper hose out of the shroud and peer down at the radiator. They'll weep sometimes, provide a slow leak, a stink, and now pour enough to show a leak.

Winter came early to Buffalo? It started about a week ago. It's been the nicest fall I can recall for years. I just closed the pool 3 weeks ago. You new to Buffalo as well as the Disco?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You need to look further into the coolant smell and repair it, do a coolant ptrssure test again, replace your t/stat and bleed the coolant system.
Your heater is not working properly because you have air trapped in the system.
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.