Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help on this one... Bought the vehicle knowing that the starter was burned out due to a small fender bender... towed the car to my place and took out starter confirmed that it was no good and replaced it with a working starter..

Key that I was provided with was not a great one and hard to insert and turn, went to dealership and had a new key made with the VIN... New key does not work at all... Back to the story... When I turn the key all the lights and dash work but when I go to the third position to crank the engine NOTHING!

To make matters worse, since I did not drive the car to my place I towed it so once it was near my driveway we pushed it in and then set the emergency brake and put it into park... after exhausting the battery as being the problem I sat in the vehicle and shifted the car from park to neutral to see if it would start and nothing still... I then released the emergency brake while the car was in park an the car rolled freely?? I put it in 1st gear and the car rolled freely...

This is my first Land Rover and I am confused any ideas what is going on here?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
OK, you bought a can of worms. If you want PM me your number and I'll walk you thru everything you need to do or check.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whoever towed it before you probably disconnected the linkage at the trans to tow? But the only reason they would do that is if the shift interlock was engaged and couldn't be shifted In the first place. Do the brake lights come on with pedal action? If not, check the fuse, then switch @ pedal, then reconnect shift linkage.
I think a "chipped" key will have to be associated to the ecu somehow before it allows you to start too....

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I am still waiting to hear also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts