Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Barely Mechanically Inclined
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's the scoop. My brake light lit up the dashboard. Upon inspection, I found that the master cylinder was leaking around the bottom of the reservoir where it enters the booster. It had peeled the paint just below the 3 nuts and there was some on the driveway. I already have the replacement master cylinder, and I don't think I'm ready to tackle a rebuild.

In reading some other posts, I see that it has been suggested to replace all of the Dot4 fluid and bleed the brakes. I have not done brake work (yet), so I'm not sure of what I am getting into here. All I know is that I am not paying Joe Mechanic $800 to do it. I got the part for $175.

I have gotten great advice on here before (successfully replaced crankshaft position sensor) and my confidence is soaring. So, what wisdom can you impart on a money-strapped newb?

· Registered
380 Posts
Okay, I would've gotten the rebuild, I did it a month ago, soooooo easy. But for an extra 75$, your not really at a loss.

Here are some tips. Ill add some videos for you also on my next post.

Your going to need 2 quarts of Fluid. Dot 4.,someone to help you, a wrench (I think 7 or 8mm) and a small tube over to go over the bleed screw so fluid doesn't shoot everywhere.
First: You want to DESK BLEED the master cylinder before you install it, I myself installed it first and had to take it off... I will include a video of how to desk bleed it on next post.

Next after you did the desk bleed, install it.

After installation, have someone pump the brakes, hold them hold the peddle down, and bleed the two lines from the master cylinder to the ABS modulator. After fluid comes out tighten the line, do each line separately.

Now after those two lines to the modulator are bled you have to bleed the brakes in a certain order. It goes: First bleed passenger front wheel, Driver front wheel, then passenger rear wheel, and finally rear driver wheel (AS RAVE STATES)

Tip on bleeding the brakes, its a bitch, but make sure that whoever is helping you, to tell you that the brake pedal is going down, don't let it go all the way down or you might suck air in there. Also, I bled mine and the pedal didn't harden, so I kept going, and still no hard pedal, after you bleed all four just take it for a drive in your neighborhood (slowly) and work the brakes. Slam them down. It worked for me.

· Barely Mechanically Inclined
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Seems easy enough. Can't believe I missed Eric's video. I subscribe to his stuff. Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.