Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

2001 Disco II SE7 - Should I buy?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RudemanRB 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a 2001 Discovery II Series 7. It has only 40,000 miles, looks to be very well kept. They're asking 21,000. What should I know about this? We will be pulling a 20 ft boat behind it (~3,000 lbs with a full tank) a few times a week.

My main concern with the towing is how do these do over longer distances? If I pull it to a lake that's 3 hours out of the way over hilly, windy roads, am I going to burn out my transmission? How is its responsiveness towing a load this size? Anything else I should know about the towing ability of these?

Also, how easy is the maintenance on these? Are repairs or maintenance frequent? What are any common problems with these?

Thanks for the input.

#2 ·
I drive an '01 SE7. Amazing off-road ability, relatively mod-friendly for a newish Rover, most of this model year still have CDL. Change fluids neurotically & you will have solid performance with little maint. Issues to watch for are front drive shaft replacement around 60-70k, some issues with door locks (which is pretty much a Disco trademark at this point), flimsy cup holder.... nothing really too major. You WILL leak. That's part of the deal. It's just a matter of how much dripping you are comfortable with but large-scale gasket replacements are over-prescribed by dealership. Find an honest, independent Rover mechanic in your area and avoid dealership at all costs. Bolts on valve cover tend to loosen up & give the appearance of more serious seal issues. Check from time to time, tighten, but not too hard as you may break 'em.

Now,,,,,,, I have to be honest and tell you that (my .02) this is really not a very good tow vehicle. I could not recommend it if the primary purpose will be to towing a boat over large distances. I know a guy, even here in CO w/ steep climbs & rapid descents, that does tow a large trailer/camper behind his (lifted) DII. But he is definately the exception rather than the norm. There are probably better tow vehicles out there as the '01 DII is under-powered for this purpose. Again, this is just my .02 :drive: :drink1:

#3 ·
I agree with SCSL. Great On/Off Road vehicle, but not a good tow vehicle due to lack of power. I tried towing my boat (4000lbs) with my 2001 and was very disapointed with the results. When towing on flat roads it would barely keep freeway speeds, and climbing hills was agonizing. The transmission will hold up, but your patience won't. I had to keep my '98 Chevy Tahoe around just to tow my boat.

#5 ·
2001 Se7

I have a 01 SE7 Disco. i've got about 59K miles on it.
and the other day while driving the TC light came on then the M and S started blinking. when I stop the car and restart it it goes away. this has happened twice so far. should I be concerned? has anyone had this issue before?

Also while driving it seems like it jerks a bit almost like if it was downshifting when on cruise control. but i've tried with and without the cruise. it does it ever so slightly. i know it's one of those things that if I take to the dealer they will think i'm nutz. but i drive from 2300ft down to sea level and back every day. and it can't be just the automatic tranny shifting. especially when I look at the Tac and notice that it's not changing any gears.

any insight? Help :)

Rudeman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.