Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to move my passenger seat forward today and flip down back seats to carry something. When I was done I was returning the seat to where it should be and it stopped. It of course stopped way forward so nobody can ride there. Firstly, is there a manual way to move the seat, and secondly is there a fuse that may not be labeled for seats or windows that may be the culprit? I've checked things that I would assume are related, but all fuses seem fine.

When I hit the window switch I hear a click under dash on passenger side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I think I may be on to something other than the fact that I need to wear my glasses all the time. Fusible Link 5 is blown. I'm thinking this may be the issue. I stuck another one in there and it popped it immediately. Where do I test or go from there?

Attachments

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Sounds like a stuck relay or a seat switch. Worst case: a short downstream of the fusible link.

Try pulling the relays that operate the seats. If the link still blows, you've got a wiring problem (short to ground).

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
There is a brown 5 pin connector under each seat, unplug them both, remove FL5 and connect a control lamp(or voltmeter) across it's cavities, if you get voltage the short is in the wiring or fusebox, if not connect the plugs back one by one, the lamp will work on the bad circuity... the circuit from FL5 is going into both seat's power relays and the interior fusebox to the windows circuit so work on that path, i have the feeling that the problem is at one of the seats.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
that 1V should not blow the fuse, verify which is the live side in the fusebox then set the multimeter to resistance and put across earth(body) and the other unlive cavity then see with which brown plug connected you get continuity to earth

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
in one side where FL5 goes it's 12V against body, the other side should have great resistance on multimeter set to Ohms against body with brown plugs disconnected... if you let the multimeter there and plug back the brown plugs the resistance must drop when the shorted circuit is connected, i can't explain better sorry

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
It should be a bigger than that brown 5 pin plug there on a harness, that yellow one is connected to the relay..do you get low resistance against body on the fuse's output?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I think I found the brown plug. I checked with and without them plugged in, and plugged in individually and I get no reading on one side of FL5 and the other side ends up at 0.00 when checking with both plugs. Even with FL5 not there I hear a click under passenger side dash when I hit the front window button. That mean anything?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
dont measure resistance against earth on the live side of the fuse !!!... the windows have nothing to do with this circuit... when you get 0 resistance to ground you must see with which brown plug connected is that cos the short to earth is on that circuit so let that unplugged and then if you plug in the other and the resistane is great you can put FL5 back, the windows and that plugged seat should work this way... you'll have to remove the seat with the short and chase where it is.

Reactions: DivebombInc

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
btw...as the fault occured when the passenger seat was used unplug just that then you'll be able to put FL5 as to not blow and restore the driver's seat and windows operation then and you can chase where the wiring is chaffed in the passenger's seat

Reactions: DivebombInc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is the brown plug I found the correct brown plug? And, it that the power to the seat that I leave unplugged?

Your advice and patience is much appreciated. I'm better with the engine than I am with the electrical.

btw...as the fault occured when the passenger seat was used unplug just that then you'll be able to put FL5 as to not blow and restore the driver's seat and windows operation then and you can chase where the wiring is chaffed in the passenger's seat

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Yes, that's the correct brown plug, if you stick the ohmeter with one probe in pin 5 male side which goes toward the seat's circuit and other to the seat's metal frame(earth), you should get low resistance then start following that brown/purple trace wire and unplug other connectors untill the resistance goes high then you'll know that the fault is between these two plugs and before the other fusebox anyway cos if it was after that the sattelite fuse F2 should have blew... FL5 is only ont that circuit from pin 5 to F2 on the passenger side(same on the driver's side) .. here is the pin disposal in the female side deduce how is the male

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.