Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
berg:
Being myself an owner of a beautiful :D woodcote green '99 Disco ll I can tell you the following facts:
1.The 4.0 engine tends to wear the head/exhaust gaskets fast,regarding of year,as per asking through a couple friends with '99-01 Disco ll's.Also I ask everytime I see a Disco ll owner in the local mall parking.
2. Keep a good maintenance on the truck,as with all car makes(ones more than others though ;) )that will influence how long will the engine/vehicle lasts prior to a major failure.
Hope this helps,
Carlos

·
Registered
317 Posts
Carlos,
I've always wondered, in situations like this where there seems to be an preponderance of headgasket failures, if the owners have followed a regular maintenance schedule.
I'm a proponent of not letting coolant stay in the engine more than two years. Whenever I mention to non-mechanically minded people that they should change that, as well as their brake fluid, I usually get one of these
:confused
As you ask people, you might want to add this query as well since I'm pretty sure most people don't change out *all* of their fluids at proper intervals...and I'll bet that hastens the demise of these gaskets, for example.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
523 Posts
berg:
I just wanted to pinpoint a few issues when looking after a Disco ll:
1.As with all other vehicles look for the ones that have the more equipment for the price,i.e. 7 seaters,Active Cornering Enhancement,18" wheels,brushbars,racks etc. particularly bearing in mind that LR original accesories like racks,brush bars,running boards,are really expensive when you buy them new.
2.Look for low mileage/best price examples,nothing to discuss on this topic,pretty clear.
3.Look for rare colors,like: Kinversand,Giverny green,Woodcote green,Rioja red,as they are not easy to come by.
4.When testing it,look for serious leaks,coolant smell,and rumbling sounds when at idle,they may indicate the need of a new gasket kit,cat converter,idler pulley,or a combination of the above.
Hope this quick pinpoints help too,so go Disco hunting!!! :drive:
Carlos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.