Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery II SE, 4.0L, 140k miles
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm a bit sad that this much work went into it but at the end of the day the flex plate obviously needed to be replaced, and my MPG was garbage so the torque converter was also pretty suspect, and I was able to get the CDL in there. It feels good to have been through most of the driveline at this point, and I can have confidence at least in those components going forward.

I am a bit confused about the balancing though. I paid $70 to have the driveshaft balanced, and while the guy said he couldn't do it 100% properly without taking it apart, shouldn't he have been able to figure out that it still wasn't fully balanced and recommend that I cough up the extra money to rebuild it again? Instead he just gave it back to me with a new weight welded on. I don't know much about that process though. Could have saved me a pretty big headache...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats for sure! I know what your going through I have been down the same road chasing down ghost noises and replacing things that didn't seen to need it. I always felt in the end like you do. Well at least i know all the replacement parts are 20 years newer. After a year of replacing the suspected parts the rover was becoming new again haha. Its been two years now and no issues.

Good luck I hope you have the same success.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Woo hoo!

I STILL have it!!! LOL 😝

I have ONE in stock. Brandy new, Chi-Com manufacture.

$300 shipped CONUS, 180 day warranty

Dammit! EVERY time I buy a part for my son’s DII, I end up selling the part!

Reactions: maremurus

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well, I put the new Tom Woods shaft in, and the vibration is back. Was looking through the RAVE and it says to reference the marks when re-installing the front prop shaft, but it's hard to tell whether they mean marks that you place there yourself, or if they mean stock marks on the diff and tcase flanges. There are no marks on my flanges and the shaft is new obviously, so I figured there wouldn't be anything to align.
After I drove it the first time and the vibration came back, I dropped the tcase end of the shaft and rotated the flange 90deg from the previous position and bolted it back up, but the vibration is still there. Do I need to try the other 2 orientations as well? Seems like it shouldn't matter, but I'm really stumped here.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
693 Posts
Well, I put the new Tom Woods shaft in, and the vibration is back. Was looking through the RAVE and it says to reference the marks when re-installing the front prop shaft, but it's hard to tell whether they mean marks that you place there yourself, or if they mean stock marks on the diff and tcase flanges. There are no marks on my flanges and the shaft is new obviously, so I figured there wouldn't be anything to align.
After I drove it the first time and the vibration came back, I dropped the tcase end of the shaft and rotated the flange 90deg from the previous position and bolted it back up, but the vibration is still there. Do I need to try the other 2 orientations as well? Seems like it shouldn't matter, but I'm really stumped here.
Might as well try the other orientations too. Could be that. Having those be out of phase will cause vibrations, and it's free, so might as well check it.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
If the driveshaft is balanced it shouldn’t matter

W/R/T marks, etc, the FSM may be referring to reassembling the driveshaft, ie. aligning the splines correctly to get the phasing correct

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
No progress. Tried the shaft in 5 of 8 possible orientations and the vibration is there on all of them. Took the shaft out again and locked the t-case just to make sure I wasn't crazy and the vibration is definitely gone with the shaft removed.
Is it possible Tom Woods sent me an unbalanced shaft? Could I be that unlucky?

Is it also possible that either my diff or tcase flange is out or round or not axis-symmetric? I don't really know how to check for that, but seems to me like if one of the flanges wasn't aligned well it could be unnoticeable if there wasn't a shaft bolted to it, but the extra mass of the shaft might cause the vibration to show up. I don't really know how that would be possible without also causing diff or tcase issues, but i'm pretty stumped here

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hey all, finally sorted all this out. Turns out it was the transfer case output flange that was causing the problems.
I pulled the front housing off of the tcase to replace the bearing in case that was the issue, and when I did that I spun the flange and noticed it was kind of wobbly when it spun. Ordered a new flange kit from Lucky8, threw it on there, and no more vibration.

Figures that the fix is always the one that costs $60 and takes 10 minutes...

Thanks for all the help here. Excited to start actually driving this thing now!

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
693 Posts
Hey all, finally sorted all this out. Turns out it was the transfer case output flange that was causing the problems.
I pulled the front housing off of the tcase to replace the bearing in case that was the issue, and when I did that I spun the flange and noticed it was kind of wobbly when it spun. Ordered a new flange kit from Lucky8, threw it on there, and no more vibration.

Figures that the fix is always the one that costs $60 and takes 10 minutes...

Thanks for all the help here. Excited to start actually driving this thing now!
Glad you finally figured it out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Yeah the more i looked at it the more obvious it was that at some point the front driveshaft blew up, which is probably what bent the flange. There are definitely some marks on the transmission oil filter housing and the heatshield next to the cat that could only have been caused by something like that

·
Premium Member
2001 & 2004 Discovery Series II SE7, with AND without SAI
469 Posts
Could this plus the vibration indicate that the torque converter is bad?

If I had a bad injector or injector harness I assume it would throw a CEL code?
Torque convertor "could" do such, just to answer your question.

If you have a misfire, the computer will see it.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts