Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Discovery with over 150K Miles The u joints and the shaft have the zerk fitting. Does this means they were replaced already ? I was reading about this issue and was going to change them, but if they were change once before and there's no problems...Should I change them anyway ?
Many thanks for all you help in the past and
Thank you again.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It should mean that. Keep them greased and inspect them fairly often. I don't know if I'd replace them unless you think they're wearing out. Otherwise save the money for the next that breaks. Don't forget there's a plug on the shaft itself that you need to take out, screw zerk in, grease the shaft, and replace the plug....unless someone has installed a fitting in the spot when they rebuilt the shaft. I think you have to use a different fitting (forget what they're called) to leave it in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should mean that. Keep them greased and inspect them fairly often. I don't know if I'd replace them unless you think they're wearing out. Otherwise save the money for the next that breaks. Don't forget there's a plug on the shaft itself that you need to take out, screw zerk in, grease the shaft, and replace the plug....unless someone has installed a fitting in the spot when they rebuilt the shaft. I think you have to use a different fitting (forget what they're called) to leave it in.
Thank You !
Does anybody know what type of fitting we need to grease the shaft ?
Much oblige...

Attachments

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
those joints look pretty dry - I would grease them as soon as you can. I do mine every 3 to 5K miles.
to leave the fitting in the shaft you need a flat zerk (although I have left a normal zerk in for thousands of miles with no problems - it should be a flat zerk though just in case you snap it off)

and you grease it with a needle fitting

I also find the u joints with the zerk in the end cap much easier to grease than those with the zerk in the middle of the spider.

cheers
Barri

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You !

those joints look pretty dry - I would grease them as soon as you can. I do mine every 3 to 5K miles.
to leave the fitting in the shaft you need a flat zerk (although I have left a normal zerk in for thousands of miles with no problems - it should be a flat zerk though just in case you snap it off)

and you grease it with a needle fitting

I also find the u joints with the zerk in the end cap much easier to grease than those with the zerk in the middle of the spider.

cheers
Barri
Cheers Barri and thank you ..very helpful.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Anyone have a spicer part number on these joints?

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
should be spicer 5-153x for the standard U joint and spicer 5-433 Lx for the one with the nipple in the end cap. Those numbers are from an old list so check before you order.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can not findthis U-Joint : Spicer 5-433 Lx

should be spicer 5-153x for the standard U joint and spicer 5-433 Lx for the one with the nipple in the end cap. Those numbers are from an old list so check before you order.
Thank you !
I have done my searches ...I went to Dana no luck went to Ebay no luck ...I have 2 years old twins and Im it...Don't have much time today...need your help please...
:help
Does anybody know where to find this U-Joints
SPICER 5-433 Lx

Many Thanks , You are all very kind !

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
looks like odbrain has it :D
my numbers were handwritten - could well be 1x not Lx

if thats right then as he says it has been replaced by 5-1310-1x

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the rescue , You all !

looks like odbrain has it :D
my numbers were handwritten - could well be 1x not Lx

if thats right then as he says it has been replaced by 5-1310-1x
Guru .
You are very humble.
Thank you.
I'm placing another Thread, regarding piston rings and Rod Bearings..I'm about done with the top overhaul, but I've been told to pay attention to the block too...the piston rings and the rod bearings for starters ...
Where is your heart regarding what we could do to the block?

indebted as always
The Twins

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank You

Perhaps 1x instead of Lx. Maybe 5-1310-1X is the new version.
I spent at least 4 hours searching from 11 pm to 2 AM and at 8:45 AM call and spoke to a few regional managers from Dana...they were both driving so they couldn't help me at the time....They were great !
I sincerely appreciate your help...
Thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very Helpful

Thank you !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.