Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My A/C gets cold like its supposed to but as its working and blowing air, there is a noise that come from behind the dashboard. This noise sounds like cracking rocks, or something caught in the pipe. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to properly flush and refill my a/c. Any other ideas of why im getting this noise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

(I also will give feedback to anyone who helps)

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You can not flush an a/c system, all you can do is pump out the old freon to a vacuum maybe if needed replace the dryer and filter, then add the proper amount of fresh a/c oil and freon. Wether or not this will fix your problem is hard to say.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
When I change a compressor I buy a compressor kit that comes with a new dryer, filter, o-rings, orfice and two cans of a/c line flush. I flush it while the dryer and filters are off. Its really just a line flush that's safe for o-rings from what I understand. I've also used it on my home a/c system.

I don't think that's the problem. Only time I had that problem it was trash or dirt pebbles in the blower system. If there were rocks in a closed system you'd be in trouble. I've never taken apart a Land Rover a/c so thats all I can tell ya.

Well one Google search and FYI

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=9172

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok well maybe my description of the sound was a little exaggerated. I know that there aren't rocks in my a/c line, but it sounds like there is something that is making a rushing, crackling, (a muffled , tires slipping on pebbles) kind of sound. Maybe like air caught in a the line or something. My a/c gets very cold and the fan works 100%, this noise is just super annoying. The noise will last for only 10 to 15 seconds and then slowly fade away, until about 30 to 60 seconds later it starts up again. When i press my a/c off button on my dash, the sound immediately stops and wont come back until I turn it back on. ANOTHER thing i have realized is that my car doesn't drip water when my a/c is on. I let my car sit in one spot for fifteen minutes with the a/c on its coldest, and most powerful setting. When i looked under my car i found not a single drop of water on the concrete, I know that other cars tend to release water when the a/c is on.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Are you sure the noise isn't water across the blower? Or water hitting something like metal duct work. Sounds like a familiar scenario to me. I think the water lines exit directly over the u-joint on the front axle...because there was no better spot. Maybe someone here knows where the other end stops in the cab. I bet I can search and find it.

Edit: I own a d2 so not sure where the water exits the P38. I bet you can pull the carpet up and find where yours leaks inside. Prolly on something electronic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.