Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger side rear portion of my DII is starting to sag. It's not that noticeable but I can fit my fingers between the bumper trim pieces and that concerns me. Recently had 4 Bilstein Shocks put on (Blue & yellow series - 5100 iirc) and I also occasionally tow a 4,300 lb travel trailer.

What to do? Is it a rear spring or what?

Thanks for any help or ideas?

LandyII

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
My passenger side rear portion of my DII is starting to sag. It's not that noticeable but I can fit my fingers between the bumper trim pieces and that concerns me

Sorry to ask but where is it that your fingers fit? Are you saying you can fit your fingers between the bumper trim and the body or that you can fit fewer fingers on the passenger side than you can on the drivers side? Also is your vehicle equipped with air suspension or coil springs?

· The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can fit my fingers between the bumper itself and the small piece of bumper trim right on the corner of the bumper.

I have coil (not air)

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Assuming you don't have SLS then yes you have a coil failing. Are the springs original or is it a lift.

· The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No SLS and yes, the coil is original and not lifted.

So, I guess I'm looking at a $150.00 (or so) part + labor, right?

Should I replace both coils at the same time?

LandyII

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Correct me if I am not picturing this right but bumper to bumper trim? That sounds more like a body / frame issue more than a suspension issue.
If the whole passenger rear corner of the vehicle is lower than the other side that's suspension and in my opinion yes change the springs in pairs.
Maybe a picture will clarify your concern.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Ye you must replace both side at the same time.
Ho much wheeling are you doing?
If your suspension is original you should switch out all you shock and springs to improve your ride both on and off the road.

· Registered
455 Posts
Ye you must replace both side at the same time.
Ho much wheeling are you doing?
If your suspension is original you should switch out all you shock and springs to improve your ride both on and off the road.
Would you recommend HD springs because of his towing? At what point should you go from medium to heavy duty springs? Ours is leaning too but ours is always full of kids not towing. Thank you.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
How heavy is the trailer and tongue weight.
If you want, PM me your number and I'll call you.

· The Zebra
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The thread hijack is very welcome! I want and need to learn as much as I can about this beasts suspension!

The trailer is approx 4,300lbs and the tongue weight is approx 225lbs (iirc)

It's always leaned slightly to the right hand side (passenger) and since I've been towing, I noticed the slight separation between the bumper and the trim.

I got new shocks all the way around (Bilstein 5100 blue & yellow) last June.

I guess my next step is replacing both coils on the rear ($350.00 for 2 + labor) or do I need to go all the way around and get all 4?

And which brand HEAVY DUTY coils would you suggest? I'm NOT interested in lifting the suspension (as I haven't offroaded in a long long time) because I'd have to adjust my stinger and towing setup, etc. (I'm using an e2 hitch)

I just want this truck to be a strong towing vehicle.

Thanks,

Landy II

Mike, I would have you call me, but then no one else searching for this info on the board will get the solution, so it's better that we work this out on the forum. Thanks for the kind offer!

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
You have a lot of question I can call you or you call me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.