Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my front driveshaft with a HD from Lucky 8. It was installed per directions, no problems encountered. But once I drove it I discovered a problem. There is a definite whining noise as you accelerate and when you let off the gas it feels exactly the same as if the truck had a standard transmission...it feels as if it's been downshifted. If I let off the gas when going downhill the truck doesn't coast freely, it's held back by the tran, driveshaft, diff, or all of the above.

Any idea what's wrong???

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
I'm not excluding the fact that it could be a bad U joint or centering ball, but if I'm honest it sounds more like a differential/transfer case problem. Have you checked fluid level and condition in both diffs as well as the TC? What about the transmission? I had a rear right caliper that was sticky that also affected my coasting speed - have you checked the condition of your brakes?

I know this may seem REALLY naive, but its worth mentioning - are you positive you didn't install the shaft backwards? Keep in mind that the double cardan joint is supposed to point towards the rear of the car and attaches to the transfer case.

The OEM shaft has the round mounting flange on the axle end and the square flange on the TC (double cardan) end, but quite a few aftermarket vendors reverse this arrangement, which can cause confusion. If you reversed the install there's a possibility that the pinion angle is off and that could be causing the shaft to bind on the TC end which could lead to the whine and rapid deceleration you're experiencing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.