Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down to the crankshaft now after openning up the engine. My problem is my rod journals measure 2.185 in.(took to machine shop) Converted on google this is 55.499 mm. Reverse 55.500mm (standard journal measurement in Land Rover Manual) and I get 2.18504 in. Looks like I have a standard size journal in mm right? Here is the problem... The Land Rover manual also gives the rod journal in inches. 2.20 inches.. I called tech at Atlantic British and got the same measurent in inches for journals. (converts to 55.88 mm on google not 55.500 as given in manual) I need to have the crankshaft turned and polished to remove wear scratches. By this info I don't know what size bearings to order so I can have crankshaft turned to fit with bearings. What am I missing? This doesn"t add up for me. If I go with the inch measurement given in manual and by Atlantic British then I'll have to order bearings 2 sizes over and only have 5 thousands to turn and polish. If I go by my conversion on google of 2.185 in = 55.499 mm then I can buy the 1st oversized bearings.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
I would discuss it with the machinist who you are trusting with your crankshaft and let him know the available bearing options. Should be able to give you the exact requirements for your repair.

· Registered
4,797 Posts
It is not at all uncommon for a Rover crank to be 0.015" undersize, nor is it uncommon to polish/grind to achieve 0.020" undersize so the corresponding bearings can be used.

Be aware that the higher quality bearings may only be available in the 0.010" oversize variety.

Expect the wear to be greater on the connecting rods.

When you get this sorted out, call us and we'll get you your bearings, rings, and anything else you need for your build.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.