Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, I looked everywhere for someone with similar issue cant find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 2003 Disco 72k miles. Wife went to unlock doors, key fob not working, had to open manually with key. She starts car, starts to drive, sees B with line through it on the dash where the miles/trip odometer display. She gets to end of street and notices no turn signals as well. Now car will sometimes stick in a gear, so has to be turned off, then re-started to select gear. Car was fine the day before, any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Be more specific about the B with the line thru it. As far as I know we have no such warning light.
How old is your battery. If old, I would suggest you go to a local parts store and have them check you battery/alternator to see if you have a low voltage issue below 13.6 volts.
If that is not it, I hope you have a good Rover mechanic, not a dealer if possible.
Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Do you have your owners manual, if so I would read up on that indicator before you go driving much. my 99 D2 does not show that and you are the first to mention it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the manual front to back when it first happened, nothing listed in the manual. Called 2 dealers, they only suggested bringing it in for $115 diagnostic check. Just went to my friends (small used car dealer) his mech checked battery 13.8 volts. Got fault codes P1412, P1415, and P1173.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The 2 1400 codes are Secondary Air Injection fault codes, the 1173 is a lean code, I believe.
Time to go see a good Rover shop, not the dealer.

·
1,854 Posts
it could be the xyz
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
crazy B indicater.

That is just the indicator that shows if the transmission is in park(P) or reverse(R) and so on. It appears that all of the letters are lit up at the same time on yours.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
it could be the xyz
Dave
David, you might be right. I was just thinking about the B and not the other gear positions that would normally show up in that area, so the tranny switch could be the culprit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to take it to the dealer. Turns out their is a short in the fuse box. They said they need to rerplace the IDM? cost with labor $780. (that takes care of the goofy flashing B in the dash warning light, and the loss of signals and power windows) They also said I need a new SAI pump and (2) 02 sensors. $630 for the SAI and $569 respectively. Total cost to repair if I decide to do it $1979. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
SAI is not difficult to do on your own... replaced mine with one from Ebay for around $100.00 shipped.

O2 sensors are not difficult either... you can get them from Atlantic British I think for around $70 per sensor depending on whether they are front or rear.

Can't help you with the fuse box shorting out, but you may want a second opinion from a good mechanic with rover experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone, I encountered the same problem yesterday. I noticed I had a problem when driving (forward) and the indicator on the dash said I was in reverse. Then the turn signals didn't work. After I stopped the car, it would no longer turn over and I got the "B" as well. Have you confirmed that this is the internal fuse box? If so, how hard is it to replace?

Thanks for the help!
chris

·
Registered
129 Posts
hey one thing you may want to try to see if it will start is slowly moving your gear position selector and watiching you dash to see if you can get it to locate netural so that it can be restarted... i found that when i had my bad XYZ switch mine would show the same "B" on the dash but it was also flashing my "M+S" lights and would not come out of 3rd gear... i could restart it and it would goaway but as time went on it got worse and worse till i got to the point that i had to restart the truck every time i went into reverse... so i called the stealership and they quoted me $780 for the switch alone no installation!!!! yikes!! so i went and got mine i believe from roverparts... not sure i will have to look back... but yeah it was annoying having to restart all the time...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Myskyon, up until this point, my car had no problem restarting. But I jiggled the shifter, and now I think the car thinks it's in gear and it won't start at all. Might I have an XYZ switch problem? My "M+S" lights flash also. What I noticed is that when I was driving (forward) the dash displayed "R" and when I looked at the shifter it was where "D" is physically, but the red "R" light was illuminated. Seems to me that something electronically doesn't know what gear the car is in.

·
Don't follow me, You won't make it!
72 Posts
I vote XYZ switch. Just sayin. I've had my run-ins with that little sucker. It does some strange sh!t when it malfunctions. All very similar to what I read here. Atlantic British was the best price at the time.

Rover on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.