Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured it was just a misfire, bad plugs or bad wire, and before I could get it to the mechanic, my son was driving it and it basically shut down in the middle of driving the car down the road, and now won't start. Any ideas?, bad fuel pump, bad wires, thoughts????????????

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
Can you better describe your no-start behavior?
The more details the merrier

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you better describe your no-start behavior?
The more details the merrier
Well, it just cut off, and then wouldn't turn over, not dead, it just wouldn't catch, so had to tow it home, then today later after it maybe cooled down, it started again, weird.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Confused. If it just would not catch, doesn't that mean that in fact it was turning over?

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Pretty much a textbook crank sensor failure (starts cold but not hot)
As for the codes likely not related and a crank sensor commonly doesn’t set a code.
Do some reading and search crank sensor failures
Hope that helps point you in the right direction

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Is this something that you are willing to do yourself?

·
very disco
1,063 Posts
it wouldn’t be very expensive at all to DIY, just time consuming for the novice or ill-equipped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The part is cheap get a Bosch unit the other have been know to be problematical

Give yourself an afternoon, undoing the 2 bolts is easy getting the connector apart is not. It literally takes about 15 minutes to remove and install the unit and it took me 1.5 hours to get the cable disconnected and reconnected. The connector is at the top rear of the left side of the engine Kind of behind the exhaust and below the heads as inconvenient a spot as could be found

Search for Land Rover Discovery II CPS replacement to get an idea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts