Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BLUF: I believe I have a crack behind the number 4 cylinder liner that is filling it with coolant after it sits.

Facts:
2003 disco 2
Miles 152,000
Codes: p0300,p1300,p0304
Coolant loss: half a tank a week
Overheat: never maintains 96.5 C in traffic
Compression test done:
2=165. 1=175
4=163. 3=172
6=165. 5=174
8=168. 7=175
Coolant pressure test done: obviously leaking from heater plate but no much
Exhaust: white smoke on first start none on subsequent starts
Oil: no obvious signs in drain pan or dipstick
String test: confirmed coolant in cylinder number 4 only on the even bank

My thoughts:
1. Use k-seal and trade to a dealership for new truck
2. Find a quality used engine
3. Buy a short block from turner

Other considerations: I have a lot of coin in this rig, replace cdl with 2000 locker, rte rock sliders one year old, dog guard, ARB front bumper with 9000# warn, rte steel rear bumper, 1200 in tires with 10k on them, 2.5" ome lift with heavy springs

Recondmendations: open to any really want a good recommendation where to buy a used engine.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sorry to hear of your difficulties
Sounds exactly how mine went about a year ago
Read the thread titled "coolant loss, misfire cylinder 4" as wee as numerous others on the topic
How much do you love this truck?
Used is always a gamble but if you resealed it before the install you might be o.k. For a few more good years
As for a rebuild plan on at least_$5000

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redtruck I did read your thread numerous times. Sweet motor you built by the way how long has it lasted you? I really like the truck....but I am also a pragmatic guy and can't imagine spending as much as a canibal v8 or Robison rebuild.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If the lower end of the motor is still strong, just order a set of Darton or whoever Turner uses (flanged with O-ringed bottom) cylinder sleeves, pull the engine, check your bearing are OK, then have a notable garage or shop pressure test and weld the crack, install the liners, deck the block & rock on. It won't be cheap but it won't be $10,000, or $6,000 or even $2000. I doubt that it would cost more than $1K but get several quotes. Have them do new cam bearings if completely necessary. Then you can do the rod & crank bearings at home for a couple $hundred. At that point you can reprogram the ECU and upgrade the cam and valve train for another 40hp if you want to spend the $ or have bragging rights. Headers? 3-stage heads? The world is yours with flanged/Oring sleeves but the other upgrades are useless without the ECU FLASH & you would have to let them know exactly what else you are doing to benefit from and gain that extra HP to have it all mapped in the software.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Redtruck I did read your thread numerous times. Sweet motor you built by the way how long has it lasted you? I really like the truck....but I am also a pragmatic guy and can't imagine spending as much as a canibal v8 or Robison rebuild.
My truck has been great since the engine job. No problems, no leaks of any kind (unusual for a Land Rover)

Being realistic though.... You are notgoing to build it for $1000 -$2000 bucks. I would think that price range will do a used resealed used engine but definitely not a build.

I bought all my stuff from Turner and don't regret it at all.

This is not a job for an inexperienced machinist and I would not choose one based on price.
I am fortunate enough to have a working relationship with an engine shop that frequently does sleeves (lots of Porche stuff)

If you are going to do it you are going to want to do it right and not cut corners.
Sleeves need to be machined out (strongly recommend by Turner) bored out to accept sleeves, sleeves installed and then the block can be decked. It's not a quick and easy process. Crack welding is and will continue to be debatable.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Have put aprox. 15000km /10000 miles since the rebuild (10 months)
I'm not sure what a short block would run you including exchange and shipping from the U.K. But I would expect you will likely be at or near what I spent.
It is a big job but is do able if you are handy and well equipped.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Another good thread is

"Head and head gasket prep"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I've looked around it's about $5,000 from Turner to get a short block. I would love to keep the truck but I can't justify the expense. I may turn to the dark side and buy a 100 series land cruiser and see if anyone wants to buy mine for the equipment that's installed.

RTE: sliders 2 years old
RTE: rear bumper 8 years old
RTE: diff guards (never installed)
Roversnorth: pet barrier (1year old)
Rear access ladder (8 years old)
ARB: front bumper 8 years old
GBR: front (4 years) and rear (6 months) drive shaft

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Find a good block and put your crank/pistons into it. The rings/bearings and gaskets aren't that pricey and if the cover is good, you can get away with pump internals. You're looking at a cam/lifter and most likely rockers and shafts. But you'd then have a motor that should give you some good service life.

Turner's is a great source for parts- they're prices WAY under all the US sources and if you're on the east coast, you'll see them in 2-3 days. I found rockers and shafts on Ebay for under $200

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
.......but I am also a pragmatic guy and can't imagine spending as much as a canibal v8 or Robison rebuild.
Stay away from Cannibal! You'd be better off buying a junk yard motor. Long thread on another forum about it and is shifty as hell. Turner is the only box company I'd trust right now not because Robinson is not trustworthy but because he's very expensive. You'd get your money's worth but is a DII really an investment that's going to appreciate any time soon?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree. Like I said I will likely but it up for sale for parts give another rover lover a good deal. I forgot to mention I put in an OME heavy duty 2" lift with new stabilizer, new adjustable pan hard rod, and heavy duty track rod and drag link as well in 2015. I also have a few parts.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.