Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Discovery
mobil 1 every 5,000 mi

two years ago coolant was suddenly low and no heat was coming out, filled overflow tank and heat came right back. Two months later same thing, no heat and low anti-freeze. Brought truck into get pressure tested and held pressure over night. Checked forum for answers and checked the throttle body heater plate. With flash light i could see antifreeze sitting on top of the block, so i changed the little gasket thinking i solved the problem of missing coolant. Two months later same thing, low coolant. Finally brought the truck into JE Robison Service in Springfield, Mass. They are one of the leading Land Rover shops in the North East. They told me they did the chemical test and combustion gas was found in the coolant and the only lasting fix would be to overhaul block with flanged liners and would cost 11k to 13k. The discovery still sounded fine and no lights on the dash so i decided to just drive it and just check temp gauge and coolant level, I've been doing for two years already. Now I finally have the loud tick that gets louder as i put the gas on. Disco Mike has said to make sure you actually find the problem before getting new engine. So I'm dropping disco off at a nearby certified Bocsh service center nearby. Should i have them pull the oil pan to check sleeves, to confirm that is the problem before i spend 13k for rebuilt block. To me it just sounds like head gaskets that got worse over time. Is it worth looking into? or should i trust Robison, (A.B. did say they are the best shop).

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
11 to 13 thousand?..?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a similar situation, and went with a Turner Engine with the flanged liners and the sport cam. It runs fantastic. Much better power, like night and day. My heads had already been redecked or I would have gone with gas flowed cylinder heads as well. I doubt Turner would be your cheapest option, but I can attest to the engine's increased performance over stock. I would go this route over having your current engine rebuilt. There are a couple of places here in the states that rebuild them as well.

At the low miles you have the rest of the truck is probably in great shape. I would guess you could find a used motor too.

Rover V8 Engines for Range Rover, Discovery and Defender, remanufactured and new options available

If you do get the new engine do yourself a favor and get the Valve covers refinished to look nice. Mine still looks like the old engine that clanked at me. Drives me nuts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah my truck is in excellent condition (other than motor), has new off road tires, new brakes, rotors, terra firma shocks and springs, ladder and basket. I can not see parting it out. I'd like to get the rebuilt turner engine but not sure I can afford the price ticket. What I've been reading is not to waste time on used engine as well. Not sure what I will do

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah my truck is in excellent condition (other than motor), has new off road tires, new brakes, rotors, terra firma shocks and springs, ladder and basket. I can not see parting it out. I'd like to get the rebuilt turner engine but not sure I can afford the price ticket. What I've been reading is not to waste time on used engine as well. Not sure what I will do
If you search the forum there is a place in Oklahoma that does the same thing and may be a little cheaper. Feel for you, as I had to make the same difficult decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ordered the roverparts reconditioned engine for $3,850. Not the best decision, but my wife would not let me spend more than $6,000 for the engine replacement. It was towing it to the junkyard, parting it out, or replacing it with the used engine. I'll keep my fingers crossed it works out for a few years, I'll baby the heck out of the truck until i can afford the rebuild flanged block. Luckily its our third vehicle so Ill continue putting less than 5 thousand miles a year on it, and just keep up the maintenance. i'll be sure to let everyone know if the engine goes a second time, (knock on wood). Has anyone had good/bad luck with roverland engines?

·
Registered
122 Posts
As long as that engine came out of a vehicle in the trouble VIN Range I would not worry too much. I would think that Roverland would have addressed this.

Get new Plugs, wires, and use the recommended fluids that Mike has pinned, and I would think you would get a lot of miles out of that engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As long as that engine came out of a vehicle in the trouble VIN Range I would not worry too much. I would think that Roverland would have addressed this.

Get new Plugs, wires, and use the recommended fluids that Mike has pinned, and I would think you would get a lot of miles out of that engine.
Yup got new plugs, wires, and belts, I'll check what mike says for fluids, thanks
If anyone is interested I will update how the engine performs if your thinking of taking the gamble of a used engine or the rebuilt one. I don't think ill pin the liners as it looks to risky, plus if I want to have the overhaul in the future , I rather have an block with no holes in it.

·
laments the death of industrial strength soup spor
1,382 Posts
damn.. i wouldnt want holes in my block either. you can fix a slipped liner for a little over 300 bones and some elbow grease. buy a head gasket kit and head bolts for about 180 pull the engine and take the block to a machine shop and re-sleeve the bad one for 150 and reinstall. for a little more replace the rings and bearings and bam... there ya go

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yup got new plugs, wires, and belts, I'll check what mike says for fluids, thanks
If anyone is interested I will update how the engine performs if your thinking of taking the gamble of a used engine or the rebuilt one. I don't think ill pin the liners as it looks to risky, plus if I want to have the overhaul in the future , I rather have an block with no holes in it.
I looked at Roverland's site and it looks like the engines they have/had were out of 2004's. While it is kind of a bummer you could not get the sport cam or gas flowed headers, the engine you have should not be susceptible to the slipped liners. I could be wrong, but if you are out of the VIN range you should be safe. I had had already had a head gasket job so my cylinder heads had been redecked so going with a whole new engine was out for me. Hence, buying the Turner Block, which frankly, I just really wanted.

Now buy your wife something nice for putting up with the Disco!

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Didn't know there was a vin range for slipped liners lol. Vin range for bad oil pumps yes. The only guarantee against a slipped liner that I know of is top hat liners. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I must be remembering incorrectly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.