Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2003 Discovery. At first it would start just fine. After a week, I had to play with the shifter to get it to crank, after finding the “sweet spot” or perfect position it would start just fine. Now it will not crank at all. All the interior lights work, dash lights, AC, radio, widows, etc. They all work just fine. I know this is not a battery issue. I’ve read some related forums but I’m not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
1,498 Posts
Crank Position Sensor

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
Totally disagree on the crank sensor.
If it will not crank that takes the crank sensor out of contention as a cause.
Sounds more like a xyz switch (neutral safety switch)
Can you read codes????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe try putting it in Neutral and then start it? Sometimes those sensors start going bad and don't recognize the shifters in Park. Of course, if it doesn't work the xyz switch may still be bad, it's just an easy thing to try in narrowing it down.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
Common for M+ S lights to flash with key on engine off when switch is setting codes.
Do you have a LandRover compatible diagnostic code reader??

·
very disco
1,768 Posts
I second red truck and suspect the XYZ.

definitely try a neutral start

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
First of all rule out the starter motor's circuit. If it doesnt crank in P or N swap relays R2(starter) with R3(headlamp wash), if no change remove R2 and bridge the perpendicular cavitied in the fusebox with a piece of wire... if it doesnt crank this way the problem is with the starter solenoid or the wiring to it... If it cranks with bridged relay then you can investigate the inhibitor circuit.

·
very disco
1,768 Posts
Definitely good troubleshooting advice fery, but if manipulating the gear selector allowed a start, I would lean toward the likelihood of the XYZ switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thankyou guys for the help, I’ll be trying all these suggestions tomorrow. I got a diagnosis reader and a couple other things to try.

·
very disco
1,768 Posts
any codes you read will likely be helpful. Even the absence of codes will strengthen the XYZ switch theory

Reactions: redtruck12

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
if manipulating the gear selector allowed a start, I would lean toward the likelihood of the XYZ switch
I agree... but as long as the selected P is shown on the dash the starter inhibitor circuit gets the same input so i thought that the selector's manipulation can be coincidental too especially that it's not helping anymore...we'll see

1 - 13 of 13 Posts