Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago my 2003 Disco HSE was having a hard time starting. The started sounded like the battery was low but when the key was turned of and back on it would fire up just fine. Then it quit starting all together. I changed the battery and the starter and still nothing when the key is turned to crank the truck. The starter has power from the main line, but the small lead wire does not have power when the key is turned. I've checked all the fuses and tried moving the relays around to see if they might be the issue to no avail.
Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

PS I tried the lock and unlock with the key pad and everything in the vehicle other than the started seems to be working. The battery has proper voltage.

Thanks
:beer:

· Registered
172 Posts
Did you check the starters signal wire for power? Or high resistance? Take the signal wire off and have someone hold the key. If nothing, take the relay out and test to see if power is leaving the relay to the solenoid

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

· Registered
172 Posts
You can test with a relay that's the same. Like maybe the horn relay. Or you take the relay out and have one probe on the end of the wire and then check the points where to the relay goes to see of there is one connected to the wire. Have to have your volt meter on ohms. If you have continuity, use that setting. If the wire checks out ok, and your relay works in another spot, it might be in your key switch or switch to relay. Also on volts dc have negative on battery and positive in relay terminals to see if power is getting to relay block.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
2003 D2 womt start

OK, I changed the relay and still nothing. I did notice today that when I turn the key on to start I get 3 dings and the M and S lights flash on the interment cluster. I heard that this may indicate the alternator but I'm not sure why this would effect the starting? Not sure if this is related, but the wiper controls are slow to work and the intermittent only goes half way when it decides to start working. Im trying to think of any other quirks that I have noticed. Oh the stereo seems to work when it wants to as well and the heater in the drivers seat no longer works. haha

Thanks for the help guys.
:buttrock:

· Registered
92 Posts
Probably a dumb question but have you checked the battery again? Maybe there is something on it causing it to drain.

Im also wondering if you have a bad ground somewhere.

This is definitely different than my problem. I just get the one click with no start. Everything else works great. I need to pick up a swivel for my socket then I will change out the starter. Of course it is rainy this week :(

· Registered
35 Posts
sometimes when the M and S are flashing. it could be the battery.

when mine flashed and locked it into 3rd gear. my ground cable was loose.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
still no start.

Thanks for the input guy. I'm going to start checking grounds shortly. Another weird thing happened today. When I reconnected the battery and locked and unlocked the truck, via the door and key, the security light was flashing extremely quickly, not the usual intermittent blink.
Is there a diagram of the body grounds? Its probably time to take them all off and clean them anyways.
Thanks for the imput

· Registered
172 Posts
The only real body ground is a braided metal strap that is from the drivers cylinder head to the firewall. Then there is the battery ground cable. The starter is grounded to the motor.

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cranks but now wont start

Ok, I cleaned the grounds, including re-installing the starter having cleaned the bell housing. I also put the lead wire on the correct connection (bone head, but there were 3 to chose from) Now my disco turns over but does not start. The rear air suspension also went flat and seems not to want to fill up. When I turn the truck over it dings 3 times and the M and S lights blink. Also, the suspension light are all illuminated. I don't hear the fuel pump charge, but I have never heard it with this truck. Ideas?
Thanks

PS battery is fully charged

· Registered
172 Posts
On the passenger side (america) there is a grey plug near where the wire harness goes into the firewall. Make sure is has good connection because that powers the fuel pump. Also do the usual check fuses and relays. Find a relay that is the same as the fuel pumps and switch them to see if it's the relay

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuses and relays

All the fuses and relays are functional. Doubled checked each one. Tomorrow I'll check that connector. I sprayed starter fluid through the throttle body and it sounded like it wanted to start. There is a bit of a mouse problem around here so I'm hoping one of the little guys didn't decide to chew on something.

The help is much appreciated.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no idea

So, the alternator works, ive got a new battery and starter, all my relays and fuses seem to be ok (ive swapped them around with no problem). I am puzzled. When I engage the starter the truck turns over great but doesnt seem to be getting either fuel or spark. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake and it seemed to want to fire the first time. The second time I tried this it had no effect. Ive locked and unlocked the truck multiple times, both manually and with the fob and it took care of my overactive security light. The fuel shutoff in the engine compartment seems to work but im not sure how to reset it. Ill research this.
All my suspension lights on the bottom left of the dash are illuminated and the suspension is flat.
The truck dings 3 times when I try to start it.

Thanks for the advice

· Registered
172 Posts
Remove a spark plug and hold it the block or exhaust manifold to check if you get spark when cranking it. There is a fuel relief valve on the drivers side close to the fire wall. It's like a valve stem on a tire. You should have good pressure when you press it

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.