Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. My RR has less than 50 thousand miles on it. I bought it a little over a year ago, I drove it 4 months and now it's been sitting for a solid year. I'm stuck. I've tested every fuse. I've tested the steering column. I've had it fully charged on the new battery. I'm heartbroken and do not know what else to do. My key acts like its basically the wrong key but it's not. The fob didn't work and I put a new battery in it, I didn't realize until afterwards how easy it was to program. The key wont open the door, it wont turn in the ignition at all and does not even click like it should when the key is near ignition. I do not know what to do. It's my only car and it's making my life miserable without a way to work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry dude but this is like the Achilles heal of this year of range rovers. Sounds like the immobilizer module/ reciever ring "black plastic thing surrounding the ignition cylinder"/ steering column motor is dead. It sucks because the columns are hard to find, some guys try and put a new motor in since the column is no longer built. You can try and unplug the positive battery terminal for a few seconds plug it back in and cycle the ignition, if that lets you start it there is a way to wire a switch into the colum motor circuit to cut the voltage to it before each key cycle. Try it out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to a guy that rebuilds the steering columns and he had me run the tests on the column to see if that was the issue.....it wasn't. He also said that the door would still unlock with the key if the column was the issue, mine wont turn in either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In that case i think you probably need a kit rover makes for a couple hundred bucks. It comes with a lockset, you need to get a new key with it or it just might come with one its been like a year since i did one, and an immobilizer module located to the left side of the shifter assy. You will need someone with land rover t4 computer gear to configure the module if the column is good. Sorta depends how far you want to go down that road though but if the door lock cylinders are locked down good chance its the immobilizer module crapping out on you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you SO much! I figured it had to do with the immobilizer but there are so many ways for it to go wrong and I had no idea where to start. I just want it running again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts