Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to buy an 03-04 DII for a while now. I have found an 03 SE that is in my price range and everything seems to work great on the vehicle.

However, the VIN is 3a785803 The vehicle has 126k miles on it.

Is there a way to find out if the motor has been replaced? Unfortunately, the vehicle is 3 hours away so I am going by pictures and what the PO says. They bought it 2 months ago and now have to relocate and will be commuting 50 miles a day so they want to get rid of it due to fuel econ....

I also have heard about the sleeves slipping? Is there any way to test this?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
The motor is well past the point of failing with that mileage, wouldn't loose sleep over it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you want you can throw a oil pressure sensor on.

Sandwich plate from Glowshift goes between the oil filter and the block, run a sensor to the interior...done, cost you $35 (i think) for the plate and whatever you want to spend on the gauge ($25-50). hour job installing and running the wires.

I'm running the sandwich plate with an oil temp and pressure gauge, also in the VIN range just about 100K :( and nothing unusual to report on the pump...

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Same here, I have an '03 with 106K miles that's in the bad VIN range - I bought it in July, 2011 with 78K miles. No oil pump problems to report. Not yet anyway.

Just be diligent with the oil change schedule (~4,000 mile interval) and make sure your oil is topped off as these engines do tend to leak and burn off a small amount of oil. Also practice "mechanical mercy" - EASE on to the throttle from stops and after braking and don't mash the peddle very often. These spikes in oil pressure can be detrimental to the oil pump.

Also, I'd strongly advise against buying a Rover sight unseen - it's very hard to get a feel for these cars unless you drive them, and the potential for unseen problems is extensive. Drive out there and take the car to an LR mechanic and have him look it over. The time and money you lose will be well worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran a carfax on it and the long block was replaced at 60k miles. I am going to assume that this is a good thing.

I have made a deal with the owner. They are going to deliver it the 250 miles to me. I told them that as long as it got here without any coolant issues or any oil leaks, warning lights, etc... then we have a deal. I figure that a 250 mile test drive is much better than anything that I could do if I went there.

I drive 10k miles a year. I have a 77 BMW Airhead motorcycle that I drive as long as the weather is dry. I also have a 66 International Scout that I drive on occasion. The LR is really only going to be used a few times a week during the summer and will split time in the winter and wet seasons. I figure I'll put 3-4k miles on it per year.

I also am a Finance Manager at a Honda/Acura dealership and I might buy a warranty for it just to be safe.

I am paying $5k for it including delivery. I could get that for a trade in if I really wanted to get rid of it....

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts