Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Disco II HSC 4.6 v8 started to run rough (does no matter hot or cold) and so I took it in (service engine came on) codes are: P0305 (no compression on #5 ) and P0441 (Incorrect pruge valve code)- Now mechanic is saying $1000 in labor to open it up to see what is going on with #5 - there is no movement and spark plug was covered in oil when he took it out- (no spark of course). Then depending if it is top or bottom of cylinder- could be as much as $3500 on top of that.... Any experience with this type of codes and diagnostic? Advice??:eek

Dec. 2015- I had universal joint done, radiator lines, and flush, differentials checked, all hoses, thermostat, water pump, air filter of course. (was making a ig trip and wanted to be sure I was good to go) Also all head gaskets and valve covers have been done Nov 2014.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Likely need new mech who doesn't want a new boat before summer ends. Plug covered in oil will not fire can have many causes, did mech use new plug in an check for spark?

Address misfire first then worry about other code if it comes back after being cleared.

P0305 Cylinder 5 misfire detected -- LR description - Injector 5 excess emissions/catalyst damaging level of
misfire

P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow -- Generic DTC no LR D2 description.

·
Super Moderator
2,017 Posts
Likely need new mech who doesn't want a new boat before summer ends. Plug covered in oil will not fire can have many causes, did mech use new plug in an check for spark?

Address misfire first then worry about other code if it comes back after being cleared.

X2 on what is being put to you from your mechanic.
The code is a misfire.
Fouled plug ? No spark, no compression, burning oil, burning coolant...... Many possible causes but not likely all.
I think your mechanic is either trying to get a carte blanch repair OR is trying to scare you away ( probably because he does not know what he is dealing with????)
You need to get more information! You need to ask the right questions to get them
Ask him " does it have spark?
If no you have an electrical issue such as a coil or bad wire.
Does it have compression?
If no you have a mechanical issue such as a broken rocker arm
Is it leaking coolant? Is it leaking oil?
The more solid answers you can give us , the more we can try to help.:nerd

·
Super Moderator
2,017 Posts
You mention " no movement " Movement of what?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts