Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
My remote keyless entry just stopped working. I have the header out and was doing a sunroof water test (I heard a weak buzzing sound for a while while in the back seat) Both key fobs are OK. I tried the 3 times unlock with key and still nothing.

I'm wondering if this little box with FCC on it is the antenna? If yes, how do I check to see if it's still working? Any ideas appreciated. (I did not find water or anything weird inside of it, just circuit board, etc.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's essentially correct. It is the keyless entry receiver, which transmits signals received from the keyless entry handsets to the BCU (Body Control Unit).

It's very uncommon for them to fail, I think, but an owner on another forum recently replaced the one in his truck trying to solve the same kind of problem you are reporting. Worked like a charm, and luckily they are not expensive (e.g. used, on eBay -- ~$20-$25).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
UPDATE: I missed the #21 fuse..... it was blown ;-) I think it may have blown during a water test....... Radio & clock were also dead. Everything's working again. Still working on my 2nd try at sealing those damn sun roofs! 3rd time's a charm right?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
It's very uncommon for them to fail, I think,......
Actually it's a quite common failure and in most cases it starts acting intermittently with both fobs then a replacement is needed

·
Registered
121 Posts
For years I have wanted to extend the the antenna range so the remote would work when not right next to truck. Granted this is a D1 with a fresh fob battery, and I still have to be right next to the window to get the doors to lock/unlock.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
The receivers used to get ''tired" in time, invest in a bran' new one and double the black wire with a gorund next to the unit and tighten the pins in the connector, this should improve the range.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The receivers used to get ''tired" in time, invest in a bran' new one and double the black wire with a gorund next to the unit and tighten the pins in the connector, this should improve the range.
The owner in another forum whose experience I mentioned said that he tried to buy a brand new receiver but found they are no longer available new from any supplier he checked with.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Just google out YWY000090 , i've bought the 433Mhz version(YWY000080) about 4 months ago and the market was full

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks to this post I found one as a spare in a junkyard the other day and am keeping it handy for future. How would a solid state component like this "wear out"? Does not seem possible. Works. Or Doesn't.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Thanks to this post I found one as a spare in a junkyard the other day and am keeping it handy for future. How would a solid state component like this "wear out"? Does not seem possible. Works. Or Doesn't.
It's more complicated than that, and the receiver is not in a sealed and constant environment, its exposed to temperature changes, moisture, electromagnetic fields, interference, etc... it's explained here how electronics can fail Topic: Electronic/Electrical Reliability and receivers in most cases are becoming intermittent then fail for good also they will misbehave more often in extreme hot or cold moments

Reactions: V50_M66
1 - 11 of 11 Posts