Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a significant oil leak under my 2004 Disco. I believe I have traced the leak to what looks like a plug bolt under the Oil Pump housing. If you are under the truck, the leak is coming from a large, flat bolt to the left of the Oil Filter Adapter. I have found a picture of the oil pump from an online parts dealer and marked the screw in the picture here

https://picasaweb.google.com/117752662046127097349/OilLeak?authuser=0&feat=directlink

When I say significant leak, it drips about every 10-15 seconds while the engine is running and for some time after it is turned off. She's always spotted my garage floor, but this is starting to pool.

Can anyone please tell me what that bolt is and if it is safe to take it off to attempt to repair the leak? Is it a good idea at all to attempt this? Any advice for repairing this?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is the oil return line connection for 99-02 disco's like mine that have an air cooled oil radiator. As seen here:

Your 2004 does not have that air cooler and thus you just have a plug in this hole. One of these if you want to buy a replacement: BLANKING PLUG FRONT COVER 4.0/4.6 V-8, RNS576, LGY100080 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

If you can find a plug locally the specs are: 3/4" thread count 16

However, the easiest fix is to simply remove the plug and put some teflon tape on it, re-install. Bye bye leak. Of course, that's if you are 100% certain that is the source of your leak. Did you try to just tighten it up??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply caymandrew. I thought it was something like that, but I do not like to take things apart that I don't know what they are and then find out later that I made a huge mistake.

I'm as certain as I can be that this is where the leak is. I'll see if I can give it a tighten, and if not, I'll try the teflon tape.

Really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi NoMoreWheelSpin, I'm experiencing a similar problem with my 2004 Discovery. Oil is leaking from the plug bolt that goes into engine front cover. Did you try tightening the bolt? or added Teflon tape to the bolt? Did it help stop the leak? Thanks very much in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts