Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... when in cold start, I am hearing a whining/whirring sound for about 45 seconds. Mechanic thinks some type of exhaust leak... perhaps a gasket or seal, and when it gets warm enough, the sound goes away. Rover runs great from there. Ideas? I'm also looking to sell... a beauty.

Thanks! Tim

·
very disco
2,083 Posts
Secondary air pump...?

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
194 Posts
Could be SAI pump. Could also be something else. OP, if you could post a video of the noise that would be very helpful to help diagnose your issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all... when in cold start, I am hearing a whining/whirring sound for about 45 seconds. Mechanic thinks some type of exhaust leak... perhaps a gasket or seal, and when it gets warm enough, the sound goes away. Rover runs great from there. Ideas? I'm also looking to sell... a beauty.

Thanks! Tim View attachment 92799
Normal afaik. SAI as these guys say. Every one I've driven (4) including my 04 does it. That truck looks familiar. I am thinking you are right down the street from me in RI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got an 03 disco v8 4.6
My sai pump used to make a turbine type sound, but I started her up this morning and nothing... no codes and so far she drives fine... should I be concerned?
TIA
CG

·
Expert Crate Digger
347 Posts
Any fault codes showing? Look in the engine bay fuse box and press down all of the relays (can’t remember which # relay is specifically for the SAI pump).
Take the air filter off of the SAI pump and spray a couple of bursts of spray lube into the inlet hole to keep it lubed.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks! Tim View attachment 92799
My Disco has always been a CA car but this winter we are in PA where it has been cold. I noticed a whine on start-up for the first time. It sounds like a belt whine for about 20 sec and then nothing...good as gold. At this point I'm calling it a winter problem until more symptoms occur. In general, she was completely gone over, engine redone last year before traveling for a while so she's pretty solid.
Don't know why your selling but in CA the values are shooting up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts