Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just changed the transfer case actuator motor and all fault codes are gone. Everything electronic seemed to work great now except all gears except park are like neutral. before there were numerous fault codes basically all the same as all over site and finally took it to bham range rover and the said the transfer case motor was bad. When i saved up and bought part the battery was dead but i charged it as i installed the motor. I disconnected cables and charged the battery. after the job was complete i disconnected charger and reconnected cables. the only fault code i had was air susp inactive. I reset with steering and like i say everything works now but gears are still neutral. I do not know if im supposed to reset anything but i made sure motor was in 11 oclock position and installed it. PLEASE help. just to clarify wife bought rr and after a week it was stuck in neutral. air susp, tranfer case nuetral as well as a few other faults and electronics were spastic. after sitting for months i changed the actuator motor. no fuse in 37

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
put in low and high and it does change but still stuck in neutral. Still no errors on rr display and when i push button for last fault it says all ok. I also visibly verified that the arm is moving on the side of transmission. PLEASE PLEASE help. Ive read that there is a safety solinoid that prevents the vehicle from being shifted accidentally but i am not sure how to check it. I also read that it could be possibly removed all together. this is my wifes vehicle and i have a LOT of kids. big and small so I do not really want to remove something necessary. I would definately like to know if that is it or not. The RR has 90k miles on it and the trans fluid has recently been changed in the shop. I will verify the level now but any HELP is much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. The air suspension inactive, ABS brake and DSC lights are on. I can reset the with steering wheel but still stuck in neutral. Can someone please advise me on what I can check next. Or let me know if I need to do something to get help. Im new to the site and really could use some help. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if this will help. I have done a lot of work on my 04 disco and now it is stuck in neutral. The only way I couldd get it to shift out of neutral was to disconnect the shifter linkage and manually push or pull the cable to shift in gear. Brought the truck to the dealer and they told me the Interlock circuit was open, due to rust in the fuse box. I will have to change the fuse box and see if it works. The Interlock circuit is controlled in part by the brake switch. You can temporarly run a jump wire between the brake switch and the interlock selenoid and it may work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will try that Im hoping the solenoid is the problem but until now I have not known any possible go around. Ill try this tomorrow. Is there any more specific wiring diagram to do the bypass. Are your brake lights working? I haven't concentrated on brake switch because brake lights work but I will update if this works. My RR dealer diagnosis said the TC actuator motor was bad which fixed all faults on display and will now shift from hi to lo I think, but still neutral. Ive been trying to determine that. On mine when I put in neutral and transfer to lo it takes about 2 secs and I can see a slight movement in shaft. Check out this link from phil I found and it looks to be a much longer process that what im seeing on mine.
http://youtu.be/SuBLha8E3wY

Also this is a little update on mine from today I posted on RR UK forum

I am stuck in neutral on my MK111. I replaced the shift motor on the transfer case and did the re calabration steps with fuse 37 but I am still in neutral. The fuse is removed. I can see the shaft torque a bit when changing from high to low and back to high but I am not sure it is fully shifting. After watching the awesome video by RRPhil on the cut away showing the shifting process in the transfer case I'm wondering how long this process takes. The process I am seeing on my RR is just maybe 2.5 seconds. We bought this 04 RR and within a week a loud clunk and everything is neutral except park. It will roll in any gear and since ive replaced the shift motor i have no more faults on the display which were Trans failsafe, Air susp inactiv, ABS light, DCS and it wouldnt shift from hi/lo and they are all gone now but still stuck in neutral. RR of bham did a diagnostic and said it was the shift motor. The old shift motor will run with 12 volts applied but i did not get any ohm reading at all between pin 2-4. Is there a way I can manually shift the transfer box or confirm that the shift motor is fully doing its job. All indications on the display show that it is shifting. I've checked the trans fluid while running and hot and it looks dark but no shavings or fragments. It came out heavier than I thought it would but after maybe 1/5 quart or less it went to a thin stream. Im really stuck and would appreciate any help or possible troubleshooting procedures. Thank you

Ill pass along anything I find out. Thank you again and if you have a wiring diagram its much appreciated

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so Im still stuck in neutral. Ive gotten a little help from rrphil on rr.net, Hes pretty awesome, and hopefully he will see my most recent post there with the latest info and maybe steer me in the right direction. Anyways I had someone come out last night and he scanned my RR. unfortunately I was home from work yet but hes coming back tonight while I am here so I can get the exact readings to post. Yhe info he gave me was .. Shorted to ground in transfer case motor A and B. lso told me that he could not even shift the transfer case manually out of neutral. I keep thinking that the neutral safety solenoid has something to do with this issie but I do not know how to test it. Ive tried to search several forums but have not had any luck. Any help is much appreciated if anyone has come across this issue. The vehicle will roll in any gear EXCEPT park which rules out a few things and when I check the trans fluid while running and hot it comes out in a thin stream which tells me that it is circulating and not all sitting in the sump pan. Thank you in advance to any of the tranny experts on the markIII out there that can possibly get me running again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so Im still stuck in neutral. Ive gotten a little help from rrphil on rr.net, Hes pretty awesome, and hopefully he will see my most recent post there with the latest info and maybe steer me in the right direction. Anyways I had someone come out last night and he scanned my RR. unfortunately I was home from work yet but hes coming back tonight while I am here so I can get the exact readings to post. Yhe info he gave me was .. Shorted to ground in transfer case motor A and B. lso told me that he could not even shift the transfer case manually out of neutral. I keep thinking that the neutral safety solenoid has something to do with this issie but I do not know how to test it. Ive tried to search several forums but have not had any luck. Any help is much appreciated if anyone has come across this issue. The vehicle will roll in any gear EXCEPT park which rules out a few things and when I check the trans fluid while running and hot it comes out in a thin stream which tells me that it is circulating and not all sitting in the sump pan. Thank you in advance to any of the tranny experts on the markIII out there that can possibly get me running again
I am having the same issues, was driving fine but when getting fuel I desided I would check the low drive, 4/4 and flicked the switch, the low icon on the dash started flashing it would then not go into any gear just would just rev that's it, when shifting back into park whilst running there would be a wearing sound coming I think from the transfer box, I had to get recovered home.
I have since changed the transfer box motor with a used part with this having been connected i
it would drive but is still stuck in low drive but with the icon now steady/ not flashing, after driving it to a garage to get the fault codes cleared which they did and went to drive it it happened again, no drive, so I put another transfer motor on it, again it will move but only in low drive, I did not want to risk the trip home so have left is there, not sure what to do from here.
Ideas please.
XYZ switch is internal on the GM gearbox on these could it be that? £150 secondhand for the XYZ 😭
Or how a bout the gear sector solinoids in the gearbox or the gearbox ECU.
someone must have come across this problem before, please help.
Regards Dave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.