Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 Amigos come on routinely. ABS scanner reads the following:
84 - Rear right outlet valve (open circuit)
111 - Rear right inlet valve (internal supply)
134 - Shuttle valve switch (electrical failure)
135 - Engine speed input signal dubious

Any insight from these as to what components are failing and need to be repaired/replaced would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Check if the modulator's plug is well connected if there are no loosen pins in it and give it some contact spray cos all the inputs except the engine speed are from there, also the SLABS ECU used to suffer from moisture or even water ingress so checking it's plugs would be good as well, another thing is to check the two earth points behind the left headlamp in the engine bay

can't you run circuit tests for the pointed solenoids with that tool you have? ...in the worst case you'll have to replace the modulator unless it's a wiring issue between it and the ECU which is a nightmare to find

Reactions: Marcovery

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Not WD40, electric contact cleaner, or the best is nanoprptech electric

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, finally got to Fery's instruction of cleaning electrical contacts. Did them on the ABS modulator, the two ground connections, the slab ECU and other module contacts under the dash. One piece of side good news! My Service Engine Soon light came on soon after service and has been on, until just now. :) I think it was P1414 error; will see if it will come back on.

No change in the ABS situation. The lights come on. I find a sticky per CT090, but the link on it takes me to Land Rover USA website instead of the writeup the fellow mentions...I am missing something!

Thanks to you both!

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
It's nothing about SVS wiring mod "option B" in that link and without that it's only a short term fix cos the amigos will come back with the same SVS fault code unless the whole solenoid pack is replaced which might cure the IV and OV codes too provided it's not a wiring issue between the modulator and the SLABS ECU

The SVS issue was explained many ways but never this way, i edited the internal diagram of the ABS modulator concentrating on the SVS module(SWO500040), i marked where IMO the problems usually are with orange but in case of oil ingress to the switches those resistances(with red) will be affected and the fault is the same, with purple are the external wires of mod option B, blue is the switch pack(SWO500030), there are two important notes on the original scheme:
* TOTAL RESISTANCE INCLUDING CONTACT AND CRIMP RESISTANCE: R<0.017 OHMS for the connection which gives the main earth(that big earth connector below the multiplug
**TOTAL RESISTANCE INCLUDING CONTACT AND CRIMP RESISTANCE: R<0.04 OHMS on the refference earth(ground) circuit from SLABS to pin 8 of multiplug

So there will be SVS related fault code if the resistances of the switch pack are out of range(which from MY experience is rare) and if one or both of those two earth circuit resistances are out of that "tight" range(thats the most common IMO), so taking with external wires the switch pack in series between earth and the SLABS ECU's SVS input the internal circuit of the modulator is bypassed and the only case in which the 3 amigos will come on again is if the switches will be ruined by fluid ingress ... that's why i'm saying that the brake fluid ingress is not the most common issue cos many of those who made option B didnt replace the valve seals, some of them nor the switch pack just made the wiring mod and they haven't seen the 3 amigos generated by SVS fault code again...i hope it makes sense

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Yes, in most cases the wiring mod option B is enough made on the old switch pack but important is that even in rare cases when the switch pack is at fault the wiring mod is necessary otherwise the bad contacts within the modulator side(SWO500040) will trigger the SVS fault again

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, at long last, let me close the loop on this; had not has a chance to work on the car for quite some time. Got back to it this week.

Based on the above advice and the inconsistency of the ABS warning alert, I decided to disconnect the battery to reset everything. Since doing so, the 3 amigos have not shown up. Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue is resolved.

Thanks to all of you!

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I dont want to ruin your joy but i really doubt that disconnecting the battery cured it, it's just a coincidence and the amigos will be back soon then you'll have to man up and do that wiring mod believe me...i hope i'm wrong

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.