Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 LR3
160k miles

So team I have this beast just where I want her as far as mechanically and cosmetically. Trouble brewing I sense in the transmission that seems to be getting worse.

Here's whats going on.

When its cool, seems to run ok. But after warmed up Im noticing the following:

1) Upon a slow down to a stop, right around 5mph there is a clunk which I assume to be the downshift to first gear.
2) Then upon start from a stop, I get a slip and then a thud into gear and it accelerates. This though happens if Im in a bit of a hurry where if I feather the acceleration, it seems to be ok.

I do get Transmission Fault notification on the dash.

Ive read a ton here and otherwise about simply changing Diff oil, tranny fluid but I dont think thats going to be the resolution. Next I read about the solenoids in the transmission - any thoughts there? Could it be something like the prop shaft? They visually look ok.

Any thoughts appreciated. And, if you have a line on a used/rebuilt transmission, I appreciate the lead if I have to go that direction. And any tips too as I suspect the electronics might have have to be moved over from the old to the new?

Thank you!

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Car

·
Registered
79 Posts
Any signs of the transmission fluid leak, around mechatronic sleeve or pan itself? Low fluid level can cause it to slip.

Rear prop shaft center bearing tends to fail after 100k miles. It’s hard see without removing exhaust and the heat shields. Try to give it a good wiggle, if loose that can be your culprit. Hard acceleration from stop can cause it to slap against the bearing mounting bracket or the gas tank skid plate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had similar problems, and also sometimes was slow to downshift. Was leaking more than I thought from the old pan, so fluid was low. Replaced pan with the new type filter conversion and filled up with Mercon SP, and that fixed her.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all - so I replaced the pan with the new style, new filter, new transmission sleeve (which was leaking for sure) and new ZF Fluid. All adaptations reset. Prop shaft seemed tight enough. I didnt sense any play. There was some improvement at first after the new fluid, then it honestly went from bad to worse. My downshifts were very improved but then slipping again and now into limp mode. Drove it about 75 miles but had to stop frequently to shut it off, restart and then it would go out of limp mode.

I talked at length to a couple transmission guys who basically said its time to bite the bullet...so I did. Found a used transmission with 83k miles and I am having it put in this week. My mechanic wont swap the mechatronics because he feels there could be contamination that might carry over from the old to the "new" tranny. Every heard of that? That was a new one to me. So off to the Rover dealer for a reprogram and I hope to be back on the road ASAP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So you keep the mechatronics from the new one, but the electronics still move from the old to the new one right? And reset the adaptations too I'd guess. That does seem to be a good idea idea if that's the case.... Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry the “easy” fix did not work. At 85k it should be a pretty strong unit. Mechatronic unit in the “new” transmission is probably cleaner. If your trans fluid had metal shavings in it, that is sound advice. Just transfer over your new mechatronic sleeve.

when doing the swap, if you are keeping the metal pan, I would highly recommend getting a Felpro pan gasket (TOS-18753). It’s available at most local auto parts stores for around $25-30. It should be torqued to 105 in. lbs. and seals much better than the green or black gaskets that come with the kit.

You can opt for Mercon SP transmission fluid, much cheaper than ZF. It is recommended for Ford 6HP26 transmission, clone of ZF transmission used on LR.

There’s a thread on LR3 transmission rebuild that may help you with this project:

·
Registered
5 Posts
2005 LR3
160k miles

So team I have this beast just where I want her as far as mechanically and cosmetically. Trouble brewing I sense in the transmission that seems to be getting worse.

Here's whats going on.

When its cool, seems to run ok. But after warmed up Im noticing the following:

1) Upon a slow down to a stop, right around 5mph there is a clunk which I assume to be the downshift to first gear.
2) Then upon start from a stop, I get a slip and then a thud into gear and it accelerates. This though happens if Im in a bit of a hurry where if I feather the acceleration, it seems to be ok.

I do get Transmission Fault notification on the dash.

Ive read a ton here and otherwise about simply changing Diff oil, tranny fluid but I dont think thats going to be the resolution. Next I read about the solenoids in the transmission - any thoughts there? Could it be something like the prop shaft? They visually look ok.

Any thoughts appreciated. And, if you have a line on a used/rebuilt transmission, I appreciate the lead if I have to go that direction. And any tips too as I suspect the electronics might have have to be moved over from the old to the new?

Thank you!

View attachment 93692
My LR3 says limited Gears .
It goes to 1st second and third Gear , Sometimes 4th gear.
then goes to safe mode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts